AGR steering box - worth it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AGR steering box - worth it?

My power steering box is heading south quick. Are the AGR boxes worth the extra $$$$? They run about 80-100 dollars more that a new stock box. Would I be better off to get a stock box and put the cash into a better pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 08:58 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: AGR steering box - worth it?

IMHO... no they are not worth the dollars.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 09:54 AM

I disagree with LEVE, the stock box or pump is not equiped to handle large tires. I have the AGR box and pump and love them. I can turn my 36's in the rocks no prob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:10 AM
Way Outta Control

On that point I agree... it's a matter of defined modifications.... I ain't thinkin' straight...too darned old!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:19 AM
Old Hand

I was talking with a guy Saturday who has one. He has had nothing but problems with it leaking and breaking. And he is only running 32s. Maybe he just has bad luck.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:29 AM
Way Outta Control

Most Jeep related aftermarket products I've see are basically good products. They're engineered well and will do the task asked of them. I do question the vaue of the upgrade, but that's a personal choice. The most common point of failure in aftermarket products is the quality of the installation. If the installer did not do the job right, step by step, with understanding of each step, then the install is marginal and the product becomes marginal. I'm a kinda guy that opens the box, throws away the instructions, installs the product and then when something goes wrong cuss becauss the garbage man just hauled off the instructions. Most oten it's purely my fault the installation goes awry and the product fails a short time in the future. It's hard to blame myself for my own failues, but it's the truth.

It's possible that AGR screwed up the box, it happens and that's why they have a warranty period.

What's your friends story... is it possible that he did he screw up the install, or did someone else? It's not hard to do... but taking the blame can be very hard.

AGR does have a good reputation in the marketplace.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 11:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'll tell you my discussion with AGR.. this discussion occured LAST WEEK.
I have an agr pump, box, and ram in my 97 tj. on the street I run 37" tires on a dana 60 front axle with hi-steer. a few weeks ago i was pulling into a parking lot, hit a bump, and bent the ram....wow..thats odd....oh well.. the stuff is under warranty. i disconnected the ram and about 2 miles later, the pump quit on me. i sent in the ram and the pump and got a phone call a few days ago.
they informed me that they have never warranteed a ram. they are "impossible" to bend unl;ess you hit them intro something. bottom line. they would NOT warranty my ram.
I asked about the pump.. when i first called them telling them i was having problems, they told me that they were having problems with the newer tj pumps locking up. thats erxactly what I had.... well.. when he called me back, he told me that the pump had the shaft driven through the back of the case when the pulley was installed. now.. i put that pulley on.. and i did NOT drive it out of the case during the install.. hell.. I put the pulley in the oven and got it good and hot first.. it slid right on. I asked the guy how he didnt know the pulley puller didnt push the shaft back when i took the pulley off...especially since it never leaked and worked fine for just over a month...no answer to that.. seems pretty odd that the ram failed and the pump failed 10 min later... they told me that it was obvious that i ran the pump out of fluid (BS!) and they'd send me the parts.... i'm here to say it.. if they send me burnt parts, they got them out of some other pump. If i ran it out of fluid.. i could take that... like not putting antifreeze in an engine block....my fault..but thats not the case here..
i argued for a long time with several people there. heres what I'm out.
1. almost $1000 for a crappy rock ram system
2. $100 for the crooks to rebuild the pump that i DID NOT run out of fluid...
3. $50 for a rebuild KIT for the ram.. they wont even install it for me.

soo...
I'm not impressed.
though the box is the only part that hasnt failed on me yet (been using it 2 whole months now)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 01:01 PM

I have the AGR Pump and SB2. I have no problems and the steering gear did wonders for road-handling. I also replaced the rest of the steering system (TRE's, ball-joints, steering shaft, bracket, etc.). I am happy with what I have. The pump offers no noticable improvement, but hey it's GOLD.

Would I do it again? No. I paid a lot of money, rather than doing the research I should have done. I was young and dumb. Had I to do it again, I would look into the steering box from a J-10/20 or camaro which are all said to be very nice substitutes for the AGR upgrade at a fraction of the cost (same mounting too).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 01:21 PM

elusive,
Remember that pic I posted of the bent ram in that other thread about your bent ram?
It WAS replaced by AGR when the owner comfronted them about it. Call them back and tell them "If you replaced Fabio's ram in Hawaii, you can replace mine".
So far, I've not had a problem with mine.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have had the AGR box and pump for about a year and a half. The box has worked fine. On the other hand, I am on my 4th AGR pump! First and second pumps lasted about 16 months. My third pump locked up the first time I fired the Jeep up after the installation. AGR replaced it saying they had assembled it incorrectly. The pump they sent out, #4, started growling loudly within a day of being installed. I am through with AGR. I have lost my receipt so I am SOL on this one. Expensive lesson learned.

A buddy in our club just installed a set up from:

http://www.westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/

He is very happy with it and it did very well on our recent Rubicon trip. On their web site they offer tech tips on modifying your stock pump. This has worked great for me.

All in all it beats the hell out AGR!

Good luck,

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode