Off Roading Forums banner

rollover angle

2K views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I'm trying to find out what the rollover angle, i.e., the angle at which the vehicle will roll over on its side, is for a new Jeep Wrangler.

G
#2 ·
I know I may get a little disagreement here but the angle your vehicle rolls at is a worthless measure, if you measure it on a ramp it might help to figure out a general idea but it takes into account nothing else, what if you hit a bump while on an angle, speed of motion takes into this, the amount of pop in your cooler can effect it, ect ect. in short the best bet is when it gets tippy stop doing that. I have gotten my jeep into positions that I was sure it would roll over (not on purpose the steering broke) and it was still stable. if you really want to know load it up and drive up a ramp till it goes over. make sure to tie a winch onto your rollbar and have a buddy keep almost no slack in it so when you do find the angle you don't mess up the paint.

G
#3 ·
That's a tough question to answer........

If you have access to a forklift, you could try lifting the rig from one side and have ropes attached to keep it from flopping.

Of course this doesn't take into account the numerous variables in the real world. For instance you might find that you roll angle is say 50 degrees, but that will change when your moving, your tires are turned off centre, one or more tires rolls up on a rock or dips into a hole, dirt/sand/rocks move under the tires, and on and on......

I put a Sears angle finder on my dash at Rock Crawl 99. I regularily hit 40-45 degrees. On one obsticle I got both passenger tires off the ground and although I didn't have time to pay attention to the guage, I would say I went over 50 degrees.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.