OT Back from 10 days in europe...no jeeps!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT Back from 10 days in europe...no jeeps!!!!!!!!

so i was in europe visiting family for the last week and a half. I saw all of 3 jeeps when i was there, which was just a complete tragedy, but i saw a whole bunch of Landrovers.

i guess landrovers there are like half the price compared to over here. we went past a construction site and i saw people using landrovers as their work truck, which i found really funny since here they are usually ultra yuppy SUV's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 09:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT Back from 10 days in europe...no jeeps!!!!!!!!

The UK's idea of a "Jeep" is anything four wheel drive. The most common being the Suzuki Sammy, but include Fords, Trackers, and Pathfinders. The actual Jeep, as you stated, is very rare on the road. More are found working farm land and these are the original WW II leftovers!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 11:18 AM

Too bad there wern't more jeeps over there, you didn't even seen any diesle wj's or kj's? They are susposed to be avilable over there. If your up for some wheeling on the 14th of spt. 4given4x4 is having a club run in stevensville MI which is just over the IN/MI border. The place looks similar to a mini attica. If you want to go and caravan down or anybody else from this board wants to go let me know.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:35 PM
Old Hand

Where in Europe have you been?? You must have been looking in the wrong places... The streets are littered over here with Cherokees and quite a few YJ's and TJ's... I must agree, anything older becomes rare unless you attend a clubmeet...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

i was in belgium, near antwerp. and i was looking and saw only a few jeeps

i did notice that they have Liberties there with the name Cherokee!!! which is just blasphemy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 05:06 PM
Old Hand

Yep, the Liberty is called Cherokee here as well... Lots od Turbo Diesels around too (VM 2.5 Litre).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 05:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know in England, there is a tax on the amount of emissions produced by your vehicle. Diesels therefore cost more to run on the road [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. Some take this into account when purchasing their vehicle.

Diesel fuel in the UK is cheaper to buy than gas though.

Also, their engine sizes are quite a bit smaller than ours. When I was telling some of the guys in the pub about my Jeep and its modifications, they could not believe that we would run 360's and 401's in our vehicles.

Chevrolet's are called Vauxhallen's (spelling?) also. Vehicle names are changed quite a bit. I believe that it may be to tell that it is a European model.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 06:12 PM
Old Hand

There are a few classes based on engine size, not so much emissions.... Diesels don't nessecarily cost more to tax because of their emissions, but because of their engine size. Diesl is about the same price as unleaded over here.

As for 360's and 401's.... If you talk to ordinary people, yes... Talk to a Jeeper and they won't bat an eyelid....

Chevrole, Vauxhall, Opel, Holde (Australia) all belong to the GM concern. Vauxhall is the same as Opel although Opel's are only sold on the continent.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I see...when it was explained to me about the road tax, my buddy said it was based upon emissions.

Some of the wheelin pictures on your website, were they taken in the Lake District?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 05:22 AM
Old Hand

Well obviously it might be interpreted wrongly... Smaller engine will most likely give lower emissions.... at least a lower volume... That is why the Government like people to buy small cars and give them a lower tax rate... Me I like big and don't give a damn about the tax (well I hate paying it as it could go towards Jeep mods [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]).

Nope the wheeling pics are in the south of England more or less around the corner where I live (East and West Sussex/Kent/Surrey border).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode