What Mighty Transmission will work? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 06:41 PM
mindbender

What Mighty Transmission will work?

Have an 85 I258 CJ7 with an automatic transmission, maybe a "torqueflite 999" or a "727". Whatever it is - it is slipping and needs work. The 258 is putting out about 245 hp with very solid torque. I want to find a very, tough, durable, rock-climbing, affordable & fixable, automatic that will easily work. Think I'm dreaming? Suggestions or ideas? Thanks, Mindbender.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What Mighty Transmission will work?

250 horse is squat for a modern auto, if you have a tourque flight, even a lesser one, it can easily be built to take your six, put on a big cooler cause heat is the worst thing for an auto and they make a fair bit of it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 08:04 PM
utahjeepr

Yours should be the TF-999, a medium duty trans, but it should be plenty tough for your six. If you really want a bulletproof auto. get a TF-727 out of a full sized Jeep and have it rebuilt. The TF-727 is an anvil, it can be broken but you would have to be determined and creative to do it with a six. I've seen stock TF-727's hold up to 600hp engines that launch at 5-6,000 rpm My guess would be that your 14 year old trans needs a rebuild and a new torque convertor to perform at it's best. You might even be in luck and all you need is a fluid and filter change. Have yours checked out by a reputable shop. Good Luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 08:50 PM

One advantage of the TF-904/999 over the TF-727 is that the former mentioned transmissions have a lower first gear than the 727. However, The 727 may be fitted with lower gears equal to the 904/999. The 904 and 999 are good light to medium duty transmissions; the 999 is merely a 904 with a lock up torque convertor.

You should be able to repair the trans in the CJ and get many miles of reliable service from it. I'll look up the vender for the 727 gear retrofit and post it here for you. Good Luck!!

P.S. Did you build up the 258? Stock ones from that year are rated at 110HP and 190ft/lb or so I've been led to believe.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 08:59 PM

The vendor for the TF-727 up grade is:

A-1 Automatic Transmissions
7359 Canoga Ave.
Canoga Park, CA. 91333
(818) 884-6222

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 11:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would like to know how you get that much horsepower out of that engine. Will you tell us? And what kind of gas mileage does it get? I have a friend who's planning a swap for her CJ and I told her not to go with a 258 when there are easier ways to get more power.

<font color="blue"> -Dorian
www.4Low.com
</font>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 09:53 AM
mindbender

Well, it began with a 1983 -232 block, bored out to .60 over, then forged/flat pistons, moly everything could get. Strong Competition cam with springs, lifters, etc. 1985 258 head-shaved .60. Large chevy stainless intake and exhaust values. Big block chevy moly pushrods. Significant milling and enlargement of intake and exhaust ports. Exhaust headers, flowthrough muffler. Enlarged exhaust system. Offenhauser intake and Holley 500 cfm, 4-bl carb, Jacobs electronic ignition. Holley electric fuel pump with indash regulator. Recently we drove it on the interstate - 300 miles at 70-75 miles per hour and it average 18.5 & 19 mpg each way. I suspect with some tuning of the carb we might be able to even add close to another 1 mpg to that. It is running 31" GoodRich ATs which it can turn. It idled rough and was a bit weak on the low end, until the Jacobs package. The electronic ignition really did help. Unfortunately, I have problems with the high output alternator and Jacobs system. It is currently a headache to shutoff. I tried the "resistors" provided by Jacobs, but they didn't work. Just getting ready to try install a 30 amp relay the sent with hopes that will address the shutoff problem.
We just did a complete body rebuild and used OMNI paints with a heavy violet pearl in the Grape II paint. My first attempt at fullscale base-clear coating. Only had to redo the hood. Very pleased with the price of the paint and the final outcome. (2 primer coats-1 sealer coat-4base coats with pearl-3clear coats with pearl-3 clear coats. Obviously had to buff out the overspray and some peeling.
Appreciated the comments on the Tranny. We had it out to Moab a couple of years ago and I think that we may have damaged the tranny in the heat and on some of the hill-overs.. The engine rebuild has just increased the sluggishness of the tranny. Most of the remainder of the CJ is still stock (Dana 200 Tcase-AMC 20 rear-Dana 35 front). It was a police tactical jeep, purchased from the factory so it did come with an apparent factory install optional tranny cooler? and air conditioner?
Our next projects involve - the tranny, transfer case, suspension, and axles.
Thanks for your comments

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like a great motor. There is one possible problem if you swap to a TF-727, the front driveshaft may interfer with the tranny.
This swap can be done, but close attention needs to be payed to drivetrain position.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode