Oil gauge problems part 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oil gauge problems part 2

I have a similar problem with my oil gauge on my 1990 Jeep Wrangler, re: "Oil gauge Problems Griffin Sun Oct 3 06:27:55 1999"----But,
my oil pressure gauge does not move at all from its maximum reading after hours of running. Is there too much oil pressure? Is the
oil sending unit broken? I do have oil build up around the valve cover and an odor of oil burning from the engine compartment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 05:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Oil gauge problems part 2

Too much oil pressure! Hey, CJDave ..... here's another one of the lucky ones that have too much pressure! (picture me w/hands cupped yelling across the shop) - just kidding. Your cheapest and easiest fix is to replace the sending unit. Pull the wire off the sender ...... look at the gauge.
Change your valve cover gasket ...... leaking oil is dripping on the exhaust manifold. Lay the valve cover on a known flat surface and see if it's distorted....if it is (unless you're gifted with divine influence) replace it. Clean the PCV valve, it's hose, and make sure the hose to the air cleaner is open.

Now you'll be able to tell that you have lousy oil pressure .... and because you cleaned the PCV system and sealed the valve cover ....... you be able to tell that you have excessive blow-by...... sorry.....pain is sometimes a by-product of knowledge.
GeeAea

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 06:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Oil gauge problems part 2

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Heh heh, that's good GA. I can just picture that in my mind. You know, it has always amazed me that electric gauges work as well as they do considering all that has to be right.....the resistance...the voltage...the SEAL between the engine and the sender resistor..it really is remarkable. But....they have been working out the bugs for a very long time...like the early fifties at least. Mopars always had the mechanical gauges....way past most other makes. Chrysler wanted to show off what good pressure they had. Is that valve cover of which he speaks a plastic one? Way back when I had a few small block Chevys, and the head surfaces were so poor to seal against the valve covers, we cured it by getting hot rod aluminum covers. We even ran them on pickups that nobody ever peeked at under the hood. I just didn't want leaks. I know it's more trouble to install, but gimme mechanical gauges if I have a choice.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Our CJ is set up with a temp and oil pressure switch system that has a "check engine" lamp on the dash, and a buzzer. When you energize the ignition, the buzzer sounds till the oil pressure pumps up. Overheat causes the buzzer to sound and the lamp to light. My Jeep chick wife is a great gal, but is no technician....she wants a warning system, so......she got one, in addition to the gauges of course.

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode