What would YOU do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

What would YOU do?

Here's the scenario: A stray CJ-8 followed me home from Michigan on Saturday (okay, okay...so it was on a trailer behind my van) and I plan to keep it. However, I already have 2 CJ-7's and am only allowed to keep 2 Jeeps...I'd go broke trying to get all 3 setup anyway. Here are my options as I see them:

1) Sell my '86 CJ-7 Laredo (fully-loaded w/Dana 44) which is going to need an engine rebuild soon and a new body in the not too distant future, and restore/mildly build the Scrambler as my daily driver/occasional weekend warrior.

2) Strip my project CJ/YJ/TJ-7 which is close to completion (mostly wiring and buying the driveshafts) and put all of the goodies in/on/under the Scrambler and either sell off the excess parts or sell the '7 as a rolling chassis.

The Scrambler is an '83 with some rust holes, no front clip, non-running partially dis-assembled 258 that sat outside who who knows how long, no top or doors (the guy I bought it from snagged those as well as the t-case), bent windshield frame, no tailgate, no seats.
Anybody got a source for the rear fender wells for these puppies? I've got one that's about halfway gone. Also looking for any input on the diamond plate replacement floor panels (good, bad, ugly), and fabbing up a rear bulkhead to use with a CJ-7 top.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What would YOU do?

Okay, here's my $.02... Finish Jeepskate quickly, at least to the point where it's driveable, and sell 1last7. Then, the scrambler can be a long term project, while you can still drive and 'wheel in Jeepskate. That thing is just way too cool to get rid of. If worst came to worst, you could probably find another CJ-7 Laredo in similar or better condition, but you'll never find another, uh, Jeepskate. Of course, since you did all the work, you could recreate it, but why do the work twice? If you did decide to keep 1last7, I'm sure you could sell Jeepskate pretty quick though... Bottom line, don't sell Jeepskate. If you have to keep the scrambler, then sell 1last7. Just my opinion. Either way, keep sharing the knowledge. Your site has given me more ideas than I have dollars (what else is new...). Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like getting that stray CJ8 redone is gonna cost ya a bundle.
Altho, you wouldnt have brought it back home for nothing.

Scramblers are cool.

CJ8George
o[[[[o
85 CJ8,258,Weber32/36,4" BDS lift,4.10,35"tires,f/r lockers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 03:22 PM
Can't Get Enough

Given the option (garage space/time/money/etc..) I'd have one beefed up trail jeep and one nice daily driver. Sounds like you've got the trail vehicle.
Shine up the Scrambler and use it as a daily driver. I'm thinking of doing the same only in reverse (Scrambler for off roading and a nice CJ7 for the trip to
work.)

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 03:27 PM

Wait!! Strip one of them down to nothing but a pile of parts! Then convence your wife that you only have two jeeps and some parts!!

Alec

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 03:37 PM
utahjeepr

Your wife is gonna let you keep 2 Jeeps, no fair. I only get to keep one (and my new Dodge truck, and my '69 Chevelle, and my '68 Ford... OK, so she's got a point) Well, bear in mind that no matter how cool it is you're probably not going to get enough out of "Jeepskate" to pay for your cost (including time and effort). Not to mention that you will have built a great Jeep and not had a chance to enjoy the fruit of your labor. If it were me, I'd keep it for at least a little longer. From the sounds of this 8 it's gonna need some serious organ donations. What if 1last7, were to courageously lay down it's life so that the 8 could live?
I regularly see an 8 out here in L.A. with a 7's hard top. Personally I think it looks a little odd, but if I catch the guy at a Quickie-Rob I'll ask him about the bulkhead. Good Luck.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 03:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Keep the skate, pull what you need off the other 7 and sell it. Spyder will give you the dough that he gets back from CA on the smog nazi court ruling to help finish the skate.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

I didn't enter into Jeepskate ever expecting to get out of it as much as I put into it. I already did some rough figuring and other than labor, all I'd be out is the Durabak, some Bondo, a couple of feet of brake line, the sleeves for the shackle reversal, and some primer if I were to strip it. There's no way I'd sell Jeepskate as it sits...either the Scrambler becomes Jeepskate or I sell 1Last7. No way I'd strip a fully-loaded Laredo from the last run of CJ's to donate the parts to something else...gotta have your principles ;-)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I;ve been watching your site for at least 1 year. KEEP JEEPSKATE! or some of us will cry cause we didn't see the finished project! lol. Just my opinion!lol

Brian "A4x4jeeper"
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
http://www.jerseywheelers.org/
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Hehe...that's a LOT of shining. My thought process for stripping Jeepskate is that the Scrambler would need most of what's in/on/under it (nose, drivetrain, interior), and the '86 can just continue the way it is until I can afford to restore it. Also, the Scrambler would be more useful to me off-road since I have a wife and kid and visitng family that has indicated a desire to go out with us the next time they visit, so I could use the extra space. The jury is still out and I change my mind every week, so I'm just trying to absorb some other opinions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode