getting wild with axles, will it work? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

getting wild with axles, will it work?

Trying to put together frankenaxle here. I have a CJ-7 with a trashed dana 30 with drums brakes. also have a scout II dana 30 with disk that was thrown in with the dana 44 rear axle i bought for the back of my jeep. now the hard part. i also have a dodge dana 44 with the wierd full time outer axle shafts. Can I use the scout II dana 30 knuckles and brakes on the dodge dana 44 if i get the warn dana 30 outer axles? my logic is this. the knuckles look like a bolt up, i have heard the scout and jeep outer shafts are the same. therefore if i get the jeep outer beefed up warn axles, they will use the big spicer u-joint and will bolt to the dodge inner axles. whew! is this insane? I have the axle laying out and can take apart and check things out. any info would be appreciated. thanks steven G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 08:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: getting wild with axles, will it work?

wow.. thats a lot to digest... especially on a saturday (margarita)night...
ok.. i think I'm with you... heres acouple things that might bite you in the keister...
the scout splindle uses 8 bolts to hold it on.. the dodge (like almost all others) use 6 bolts... sooo.. its really not that hard.. take the scout d-30 outers from the ball joints out and put the whole works on the end of the dodge d-44.. and yes.. with a 297x u-joint and .. either the warn outer axle shaft.... or.. just get a pair of scout outer axleshafts and toss them in.... OR...you could even just get regular outer axle shafts from any d-44 front with hubs and for $60+ shipping send them to moser to get the 27 spline pattern cut into them so they will work with the scout hubs.
a really good idea for some real strength would be to buy the warn cj hub conversion kit and put it on the scout spindle.. that way you'll end up with internal spline warn premium hubs, and the 297x u-joint.. pretty much 3/4 ton strength. you could really get interesting and put the 30 spline hub centers from a regular locking hub intp the kit they send you (or maybe order the kit like that).... that way you could just use any d-44 outer axle shafts that were the right length.. the warn cj conversion is only $250...
the last option is attractive because you could get junkyard replacements for anything that might break except the hubs.. and they are warranteed..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 08:53 PM

Ummmmm, what he /\ said.[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Good job Chris. even on a margarita nite to boot. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 10:17 PM
Official Historian

the scout splindle uses 8 bolts to hold it on.. the dodge (like almost all others) use 6 bolts...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRONG in this case. The full-time dodge knuckle end is NOT a full floating with a spindle. It is a semi-floating design. The bearing outer races fit INSIDE the knuckle and the inner races are pressed onto the hub with a retainer for the outer races put on the hub before the inner races. The hub/bearing assembly is then slid into the knuckle. The bearing retainer is bolted on with six bolts through an access hole in the hub/rotor to hold the outer races. There is then a 1-3/4" nut that goes on the end of the axle stub shaft that sets the preload on the bearings. If you don't have enough offset (the wheel center near the outside bead), the bearings don't live long.

The rest looks good.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 10:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

will..
good call
I knew that.... actually.. i have a dodge 8 lug axle taken apart in my shed right now.. with the goofy pressed on bearing thingy.. but the ball joints out will still swap with any cj or scout
it looks almost like a tj outer axle assembley, but bigger with more bolts holding it in.. i'll post up a couple pics tomorrow

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 07:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replies! maybe it will keep going. I guess it's common for jeepers to have old axle goodies laying around! appreciate the help. I think i'll plan to use the scout knuckles out. I think i can cut the dodge axle down on one side to make the axle the same as the full scout axle width and hopefully bolt it in with out hanging the springs outboard like you would with the scout axle, that way it will look right with the full width rear dana 44 that came from the scout also. steven G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode