Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   brake squeal insanity (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/1318-brake-squeal-insanity.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 10-04-1999 12:03 PM

brake squeal insanity

Okay, I'm going nuts and I need some advice. My '90 YJ has some major brake squeal, and driving with no doors/top and having to listen to it in traffic is making me crazy!!! I thought it might be time to replace the pads & shoes, so I went to the parts store and bought a set of each, the best ones they offer. On Saturday, I grabbed the parts and my tools and headed out to do the work. The rear went fine, the drums were in good shape and just needed a little sanding to de-glaze. The fronts didn't go so well... The drivers side caliper was shot, and both rotors were severly grooved, the passenger side rotor appeared to be warped! I made another parts run and picked up two new rotors and two new calipers. Once the new parts were in, I bled the system and everything looks and works fine...... but the squeal is still there..... and its LOUDER!!! It seems to be coming mainly from the passenger side, only under light to moderate braking (it dissappears in hard stops), and I can't seem to tell whether its from the front or rear. Please help!!! A few more commutes like this with that high-pitched-chinese-water-torture-brake-squeal will have me standing in line to trade my Jeep in for a Hyundai or something!! Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance, and Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

GP'n 10-04-1999 12:31 PM

Re: brake squeal insanity

Spyder
Did you by chance get any "brake quiet" to put on the back of the pads?? This product used to come with the pads but now you have to buy it separately. You know the blue stuff that you put a bead of on the back of the pads.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] If not, this can help eliminate that squealing sound. Also you said you put new calipers on, did you get a new set of pins and o'rings to hold these on with. and lube them up good with white grease. This will keep them operating properly and help on noise. You also said that you de-glazed the shoes and reused them is that correct? If the shoes are very heavily glazed they can beyond use and look ok, also the drum may be too polished from having a glazed pad buffing it and need to be turned to bring back the rougher surface this could be a cause of the squealing.If I can be of any more help let me know.

Jim

**DONOTDELETE** 10-04-1999 01:46 PM

Thanks for the info.. no, I didn't get any brake quiet... I guess I might hafta go back and get some (would it really help THAT much?). I replaced the rear shoes, and de-glazed the drum. The drum itself was in pretty good shape. Not heavily glazed, but very evenly worn - no deep groves or pits or anything. As for the pins and o-rings, The system on my '90 doesn't have any o-rings that I know of, unless you mean the brass crush washer things that go on either side of the banjo fitting where the brake line connects to the caliper (I did replace those). The new calipers came with new rubber boots that cover the bushings and retaining pins (bolts), but the bushings and pins themselves were reused. Hope this helps some... Thanks again, and if you have any other ideas... keep 'em coming!

-Spyder

GP'n 10-04-1999 02:51 PM

Yeah..... the "brake quiet", works real well. You put a generous amount length wise down the middle of the back of each pad about a 1/4" high and about 3/8" wide the full length of the pads. let them set until they are dry to the touch then put them in the caliper. as for the o'rings depending on the brakes you have they are located in the caliper where the pin (bolt) slides through on the back side. You may have this and you may not.
Hope this helps.
Jim