Off Roading Forums banner

Alternator

562 views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
My alternator went south on me this weekend and I have been considering upgrading to one with a higher output for my off-road lights, and future winch. I was wondering your opinion on what size to go with and what would need to be changed in the electrical system. This is going on a 72 CJ5 w/ 304.
Thanks for your Help
T-Bone

#2 ·
I've got by fine with a "heavy duty" model from a local parts store. It's about 90-100 amp output. There are some nice big ones out there like Mean Green from FWD Hardware $329. Too much bucks for my needs. Mine winches just fine.
Good Jeepin

G
#3 ·
T-Bone, the only real suggestion I have is stick with an alternator that has the same case size as stock. No fab. needed.
If you do out in one with a higher amp rating, change the wire from the alternator to the solenoid to a larger size so it will
handle the increased charging current.

Gary

G
#5 ·
If you significantly up the alternator current rating you should change this wire. It goes from the alternator to the solenoid, and from there to
the positive battery cable. This wire carries all the charging current from the alternator and if it's to small it will heat up and maybe burn out.

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.