Do all the 4x4 clubs do stupid stuff? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Do all the 4x4 clubs do stupid stuff?

Well... I joined a local jeep club. I just wanted to meet other jeepers, and find some people to wheel with. Well.... it was kewl at first. But it seems to be being overrun with a couple guys. Gotta have a website. Gotta hook up with local jeep dealer. Gotta start charging dues. UGH!!

Can't we just "hang" and wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 11:33 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Do all the 4x4 clubs do stupid stuff?

There are pros and cons to being a club member. There always seems to be 1 or 2 people trying to screw things up. I think the pros out weigh the cons myself. I have met some good friends and made some great parts contacts. We have been thinking of starting our own informal club. Just friends who want to hang out and go wheeling. No dues, no web site or "our number one job is to make money for the club" crap.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 07:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Clubs are an odd thing. It all depends on the people that belong to the club to help make the club great. Our club is a real good club, nice people and no attitudes. I got voted in as Vice president and got the website up and running about three years ago. The hardest thing to do is get member participation. We have about 25 members, but it is difficult to get alot of them to the meetings. And if they dont come to the meetings, they don't know whats going on. Then the officers have to come up with the ideas of trail rides and functions. Then the members who don't participate get upset that they are not doing things they want to do. Or they miss rides because they didnt show up at the meeting. We are trying to get better at getting the phone list out and calling people to tell them about rides and functions, but it gets real expensive, because the area code changes around here and alot of calls are long distance. I like the idea of just hanging out and wheeling, but it does get a little more complicated fro mthere when you get more and more people enrolled as members. It is very worthwhile to get a club organized, but at times drumming up support from members is hard. A friend of mine just sold his jeep and bought a motorcycle. He was constantly harping on the club because they dont do anything or go anywhere. Yet he misses meetings and doesnt go camping, or doesnt do anything they club does like the road cleanup we do. And the bad thing is he knows a couple of other members in the club and his poison words may have affected a couple of other people that are in the club which is very unfortunate, because those members are really great supportive members. But hopefully since he is out of the club, we can get the other members back to the light.
But the bottom line is to have a good club... the members must participate. The officers want to ride as much as the other members, unless they are some power hungry person [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:17 AM

\"stupid is as stupid does\"

'Nough said. If you aren't happy with the way your club handles things speak up (or run for office). Our club charges dues ($20/yr) this goes towards stickers, campouts or any other group thing that we do. It also helps pay for any of the larger trips we decide to take. We wheel at least once a month (usually 2-3 times/month when we can get together). No one is forced to do anything that they don't feel comfortable with, and we are always asking for their input on any decision or scheduling idea we may have. If all you want to do is find a couple of people to wheel with, try hanging out at the local 4wheeling spot and just hook up with other people out there. If you want to be a member of a Jeep club, you have to take a little of the bad with the good.

As far a forging allegiences with dealerships/parts stores goes, it can be very beneficial. We were able to get in good with one of the dealers and another parts house here. This alliance has allowed us to buy necessary parts or gear at the same (or close to the same) price as a local shop would pay which saves us nearly 25-50% on any given item. So before you whine about your dues being used to forge these alliances look at the potential gains for the few cents it actually costs you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:29 AM

The reason that clubs do stupid stuff is that they are full of people. Plain and simple, people do stupid things.

The trick is to find a group that has similar desires out of the club that you do. If you just want to meet and wheel -- find a bunch of friends who just do that.

The thing with activities is that someone has to plan them and pay for them. Someone has to maintain webpages, member rosters, and take care of the day to day mess of club activities, go to land-use meetings, and round up support. If you burden the same person all the time with it, they get burned out.

Personally, I don't mind paying dues. It helps keep the webpages going and pays for the occasional group bbq or Christmas party.

It is not easy keeping a balance between a good fun group of friends and a club that meets for rides and activities. The trouble is that keeping the club alive has to be a priority too.

Best regards

John
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:45 AM
Official Curmudgeon

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

But it seems to be being overrun with a couple guys.

<hr></blockquote>There always seems to be 1 or 2 people trying to screw things up.

<hr></blockquote>It all depends on the people that belong to the club to help make the club great.

<hr></blockquote>'Nough said. If you aren't happy with the way your club handles things speak up (or run for office).

<hr></blockquote>The thing with activities is that someone has to plan them and pay for them.

<hr></blockquote>

If nothing else, you're get real insight on how government works. On this small scale, it's easy to see the problems.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

In the club there are a core group of people who are always at all the meetings and always speaking up and always at the trail rides. The one guy who sold his jeep was saying that they are the only people that run the club, but it isnt that way. they participate in the club functions, are at the meetings, and let their voices be heard.

If you are in a club, please stand up and be heard, come to the meetings, or if you can't make a meeting give an officer a call and find out what is going on. It takes alot of work to make a club sucessful. People have different personalities and you will get people you don't get along with, but don't penalize the club.
I am off the soap box.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dues are a good thing. For instance, our club dues go towards membership in UFWDA and SWFWDA. I think it is very important that your club affiliate with one of the big national and/or regional organizations. IMO, one of the main functions for organized wheeling is keeping our public lands open, and we can only do it if we are organized because the eco-nazis are very organized.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 11:05 AM

ditto... We're part of two regional/national clubs as well. We are always discussing ways to stay involved in land management issues (if you don't attend the meetings you might miss out on some of the important ones) as they come up. It's amazing the amount of stuff the club is able to get involved in that a single person might never know was going on.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 12:10 PM
Veteran

I've never understood the *anti-organized club* people. My husband &amp; I &amp; 2 other people started a Jeep-only club about 2 1/2 years. www.hrja.org - there are many, many advantages to having an *organized* club. The main one being reduction of the risk of liability for those involved. Our club in incorporated as a non-profit social club, and we have liability &amp; officers insurance. What this does is if someone gets injured, they would sue "the club". Say you start a loose knit "club" (even an internet based group) and you say "hey lets all get together on this date &amp; go wheelin' here.... well... say someone gets injured, who are they gonna sue... YOU - personally. Its the same principal as having a Corporation vs. having a proprietership.

We have over 100 members in our Jeep club now (a few who are on this board) We charge dues, $25 a year, $10 of which goes to UFWDA (previously mentioned association). What our members get is a top-notch bi-monthly color newsletter, a membership card, &amp; a sticker &amp; a place on our website. We have a message board on our website, it isn't used a lot, but it is there for annoucements, people selling stuff, and if a few people want to get together &amp; go for a ride outside of the *offiical* club functions. Noboby that owns a Jeep can say that they cant "afford" the $20-$40 a year that typical clubs charge for dues.... geez that is one dinner out one night. Yes, our club seems to be getting the most done by about 12 people, I would LOVE to see more people involved, but not too many people seem to want to commit.

We also have a christmas party where we ask vendors to send us prizes...without being organized &amp; having a website do you think anybody would give us anything?

Overall, I believe belonging to an organized due-collecting club is a GOOD thing. The people who say "I don't belong to a jeep club, because I don't have to BUY my friends" are idiots - $25 gmafb!

BTW - HRJA is going to have the 2nd Annual "Jeepfest" in less than 2 weeks ( http://www.jeepfest.org ).

-Mel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode