Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   GM HEI how to buy. What to look for. What to avoid (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/1315-gm-hei-how-buy-what-look-what-avoid.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 10-04-1999 08:02 AM

GM HEI how to buy. What to look for. What to avoid

I will make my way to the junk yards to look for a HEI ignition. I know what GM vehicle/engine to look for but don't know how to evaluate if it is good or not. How much play/wear is tolerable in shaft and components? rust? grease? Please help.
Nobody mentions GM V6, but will a v6 GM HEI work? example a 231ci or 2.8L from 78-85 year models? What is the difference with the drive gears and shaft?

Alec78CJ 10-04-1999 08:45 AM

Re: GM HEI how to buy. What to look for. What to avoid

I don't know about the V6 thing. I will tell you how I picked my distributor. I got from a 1984 Chevy van with the 250 inline 6. At the yard were I got mine they write on vehicle if it was drove in. This van was drove so I picked this over several other GM vehicles that were towed in. If possible take a look at the mileage on the vehicle. mine was only 127000 miles. Also take a look at the engine condition. Is there oil leaking everywhere? Does it not look taken care of? These questions will give you a good place to start. Once you remove the distributor (hopefully you found one with the cap rotor coil all intact) take a look for rust or corrision. Look for wear on the drive gear (eventhough you'll be replacing it). There shouldn't be any play in the shaft. The best way to find the right one is look carefully and look at a few of them before you decide which one to buy.

Alec

**DONOTDELETE** 10-05-1999 07:51 PM

The V6 HEI is shorter and probably bigger diameter, same a s a V8. The CAM location makes a difference for the drive gear location.

____
|____|
/-o||||o-\
(_)----(_)

Randy Joyner

**DONOTDELETE** 10-09-1999 08:12 PM

I had my son pick me up two and he came home with three.
two are the HEI with out the coil in the cap.[sad]
This was 8 mo. ago and i never looked till last week
when i had some time I thought I would put one in my jeep.
Now have to get a coil .
I think the all in one HEI's are cleaner.