Help me out with this on board air thingie - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Help me out with this on board air thingie

Since many of you were so kind and helpful (truly-I mean it!) with explaining to me the benefits of "Rhino" lining ..... I figured that you wouldn't mind giving me the "fat and skinny" on the need for "on board air". This, to my novice eye, again seems like overkill. I'm well aware that many who (and I'm sure several who do not) have "air lockers" and such need some form of on board air supply ....... but to the point of a full time engine driven compressor? How much volume can these things REALLY require? I also realize that several of you extreme "crawlers" and "sand crabs" lower your tire pressure and at one point or another .... need to reinflate them ...... but ...... wouldn't a small 12 volt compressor in conjunction with a small tank resevour (one that can be placed somewhere with quick disconnects so it can occupy a location like a Gerry can while engaged in these events) serve this function? BTW- does anyone filter the intake of the on board compressors (I didn't notice while looking at several installations-I may have missed it).
Granted, this is an "outsider" view on this here ..... but it seems like a whole lot of work and money go into this installation when it appears, at least on the surface, it can be accomplished with less effort and less money. Now I currently do not need any type of "on board" air supply ..... but now that I think about it ..... it sure would make inflating the rubber boat easier while either fishing or duck hunting ......but if I ever do graduate to the need for such installations ....why is the fixed belt driven compressor the "installation of choice" for the most acomplished of bunch?

GeeAea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 10:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Help me out with this on board air thingie

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have part of the answer GA. For one thing, the 12V compressors do have a tough time keeping up. The air lockers have leaks and require almost a continuous supply of air. Secondly, it's easy to dislodge the bead on a tire, and even with the use of a tourniquet, it's tough to get them seated without a good volume of air. Surprisingly enough, it takes a good-sized compressor in 12 volt configuration to even begin to equal a 6.2 or a 9.0 York belt-drive compressor. As for the filter, you can use a screw-on oil filter like a 3429 FRAM which has the same thread as 1/2" pipe and will do a great job filtering on the intake side. Mount it on the Jeep with a hose clamp or directly on top of the COMPRESSOR. BY THE WAY, instead of that useless little gauze filter in the air cleaner of your GM, put the pcv intake hose into a oil filter like the 3429 mounted on the firewall and you will keep from sucking that Chevy full of dirt.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 11:50 AM
utahjeepr

Re: Help me out with this on board air thingie

The need for a high volume of compressed air is the reason for the engine driven pumps. The 12V models, even the good ones, will not be able to keep up without a very large storage tank. Airing 4 36" tires from say 6psi back up to 25psi would be a slow process. As CJDave mentioned, reseating a tire on the rim takes a BIG shot of air (I still use the old ether trick, but it is dangerous. One of these days I will probably end up getting hurt if I don't quit.) Finally, let's not forget one of the best benifits to having on-board air: AIR TOOLS!!! Air tools combined with the right spare parts can reduce a serious breakdown into a minor annoyance. Also, everyone SHOULD run filters on the inlet of the pump if they want it to last.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode