Bad Brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bad Brakes

On my 85 cj7, the rotors, calipers and pads are new and I still have the same problem of crummy brakes with the left front locking up before the right front does anything. They both seemed to bleed normally when I put in the rebuilt calipers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bad Brakes

Sounds like a stuck brake caliper piston to me in the brake that's not grabbing. Very common problem in older brakes.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Both calipers were replaced with rebuilts and the problem continues. Rotors are perfect and pads are good too. Someone suggested that rubber hoses to the calipers might be bulging.

Curtis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unless the hoses are really old, I would still make sure you don't have a sticking piston.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 10:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Creeper ...... I'll take what you're saying the final step .... are you sure the rebuilt caliper is not defective ..... that is, did the piston move freely when you squeezed the pads on to the rotor?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 10:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The rubber hoses will sometimes tear on the inside. This creates a "flap" of rubber to actually block or restrict the passage of fluid to that caliper. On the side that doesen't lock up, pull the rubber hose off and try blowing through it from both ends. If it is restricting in one direction, that is your problem. Good luck!!!
Edit: if the brakes bled normaly, this might not be the problem, but check it out anyways. The system takes alot more pressure to stop the brake than to bleed them.

<font color=red>Mike H.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 07:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I was having the problem before and got two rebuilt calipers from Auto Zone, Put 'em in and still have the same problem. So, the chances seem pretty slim that the replacement started off with the same problem. They opened up easy enough when I put the pads in. The hoses appear to be orriginal and the brake line / clip end is pretty well rusted. I've been continually soaking them with Zep - Hoping that I can remove them without messing up the brake line.

Curtis

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 03:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You don't happen to be in 4WD when this occurs ...... are you? Otherwise .....it just doesn't make sense. If what you say is true (and I'm not sayin' that yer lyin' to us here[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) then you should have a distinct pull ....which was not mentioned in your description.
BTW-how are the dunes at Sandwich (at the nearby beach)...... I remember watching the RVs and SUVs roll in on Friday and crawl out (after dropping the air in the tires a little) on Sunday.
GeeAea

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 04:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When one front brake locks up and the other isn't - you bet it pulls.

Thanks Anyway.

They don't let you drive on the dunes because it kills the grass and trashes the dunes. There is however 5 or so miles of unmolested beach.

Curtis

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 05:59 PM
Official Curmudgeon

It's going to take a lot more info to diagnose this. What did the pads you took off look like? I assume
you only replaced the part of the caliper with the piston in it. Normally you reuse the old casting for the
outboard pads, were they rusted or pitted where they slide in the channel. Does it do this all the time
or only during heavy braking?

There are other things which could cause similar symptoms such as a wheel bearing or a bad u-joint at
the steering knuckle. I once had a problem with mine pulling to the right on braking and on wet
pavement. I found the right front hub engaged and the left disengaged. Guess somebody was checking
them out in the mall parking lot and left the right one locked in.

Ron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode