Alternator Problem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alternator Problem?

All of a sudden my ammeter (or what ever it's called) started reading all the way to the right past the 16. It sometimes returns to normal but is getting worse. Today the stereo was cutting out. Does this sound like an alternator prob? If if not what could it be?

Thanks,
Brent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 09:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Alternator Problem?

It's a voltmeter, and if in fact the reading is true, then you are in danger of overcharging your battery and toasting various parts of your electrical system. An overcharged battery is VERY dangerous, it can explode. Get this problem checked out immediately, if nothing else most auto parts stores will check out your alternator for free.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had this problem once and it turned out that the battery had rubbed against some metal (wasn't secured properly) and had a hole it it. When it would slide into the metal, it would actually cause a short which would cause the voltmeter to jump up and made it look like it was overcharging.

Check that, and if that's not it then the next logical place to look would be regulator (it's inside the alternator on that particular model, I believe). For $20 or so you can buy the necessary parts to rebuild it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 09:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

Don't just change the regulator, change the whole alternator. Usually when the 10si series Delco's overcharge, a diode is shorted. These things are cheap! I'll bet for about $37 you could get one that is rated at 63 amps from Checker, and it will have a lifetime warrenty.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 09:45 PM

can you get your hand on a volt meter, check battery voltage with engine off then again with engine running at different RPM's, or maybe go to auto-zone and ask them to. if it really goes to 16 you need to change alternator/regulator.

3/4tonYJ
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'89YJ,4.3/th350/np231/8-lug,44/60
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey thanks for all your guys help. Monday I pulled the alternator and took it down to autozone. They said it was fine. When i turned it by hand it sounded like crap. Bad bearing. Anyway they said maybe it is the batt. I then go get it; it is fine. I was already pretty convinced it was the alternator. 27 bucks lifetime guarantee. Everything is fine now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode