Semi OT - have an old stick welder - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Semi OT - have an old stick welder

Last night, I got the welder that had been in my Grandfather's tool shed since before I can remember.
It worked when removed but has spent the last 4 years in back corner of my Uncle's barn.

According to the front panel -
Lincoln model AC180S
220V
30-180 amp @ 20% duty cycle

The front panel is faded from the sun and the box is dirty w/surface rust around bottom... you can tell it spent many many years in a barn.
It needs new power cord. Also needs new cables for clamp and rod holder (holder and clamp as well).

Seems to me this is a useful tool - worth fixing and using... anyone have opinions about a welder like this? I remember my Grandfather using is a bunch when I was a kid... it kept his old farm equipment running. I was often the one to hold two pcs in place while he put on the weld.

I'll start checking around local supply stores for the cables n such...
This will be my first restoration job on a welder ...any suggestions regarding steps to take for checking to be sure operation is safe and correct? Any places to checkout for information? ...any books or other reference text?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 04:14 PM

Re: Semi OT - have an old stick welder

I think that it would be worth the money to fix it up. I don't think that it will cost you to much, I think that it would be cool to have a welder that was your grandpas. I think my dad put new cables on his a few years ago,so it can't be to hard.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 05:35 PM

There's another post currently running titled 'different types of metals' or something close. Check it out for some suggestions on books.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 06:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] OOOOOOkay.....here is the scoop on that welder. THAT is Lincoln's "bread and butter" regular-guy welder, and they have been used in farm shops, home garages, semi-industrial shops and YOU NAME IT for about forty years AT LEAST. They are one heck of a good machine, and the OLDER they are, THE BETTER (more copper in the coils[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). The only enemy they have is DIRT and MOISTURE. Pull the case off and give the coils a nice air bath with a compressor and a blow gun. THEN, put a nice, late-model type of power cord on it with a THIRD LEG that is securely grounded to the case and goes back to GREEN. Not neutral (White), but GREEN. Then, when you buy leads for it use #4 copper, and use a spring-loaded ground clamp. If the clamp doesn't have one, install a braided ground strap that connects the jaw that has the welder lead on it to the opposite jaw so BOTH jaws are transmitting current. THEN...when you connect the leads, use copper foil to wrap the little fine strands of wire to give them mechanical strength and make them hold better in the lugs. THAT will be all you need to do in order to use Grampy's welder well into the next millenium.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] OH....and one more thing....when you flip from one heat setting to the next, "FEEL" for the detent and be sure that the adjustment "Settles" smartly into the detent. This welder uses a modified version of Lincoln's famous "Pineapple" current adjustment, and the easiest way to screw it up is to be a limp-wristed fairy and not shift it LIKE YOU MEAN IT.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Most of those welders will run on a 30AMP breaker unless you are hardfacing the track rails on your D8 dozer and going rod-after-rod, hour-after- hour ; which I HAVE done with a welder JUST LIKE that one.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Jim... I try to read the threads for welding and metals etc. ...need to learn.
I was hoping for text re welder repair, maint, etc.
This week and next I'm booked w/gigs... but I have list of local supply shops to visit the week after. Like you said, great way learn... plus always good to support local business.

Thanks, Dave for the detailed information. I did notice the selector does not move under a limp wrist. My house has an un-used 40amp 220V breaker (was for range). First idea is to run wires from that to the garage, underground (less than 20'). I'll be sure it is done right however it is done.

I have been a fair welder - but that was with wire feed machines and coaching from experts before striking an arc. No longer have that luxury ...so mostly this welder will weld scrap until I get a 'feel' for the stick type and learn more about metals, electrode choice, heat, speed, etc for myself. Then I will start building with it.

I've never welded anything thinner than about .188" but will need to weld sheet steel so I can build the body tub as needed. I see mentioned sometimes that stick welders are not good for sheet welding... problems with control and burn through.
I see the "stitch welder" available from Eastwood company ...is this something to consider for welding sheet? ...or would I be better off to save and get a smaller wire feed welder? ...or is 30amps on a stick machine low enough?

Eastwood Company - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=default2.htm>http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=default2.htm</a>
Weld Pack 100 - item 19039
Stitch Welder - item 19031
(Can't get direct links to work - sorry)

Thanks again guys... always appreciate other's experience and advice.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 02:02 PM

About 40 years ago I got some special rods for welding sheet metal, and used them in a welder exactly like yours. I never could make them do a good job, and eventually went back to gas welding sheetmetal. It could well have been my fault because at that time I had very little experience with stick welding, and not much more with gas. With gas, though, there are more variables to play with while welding.

Sheetmetal stick welding is a perfect topic to discuss when you visit the supply shops. If somebody has some rods they say will work, ask them to show you how to use them. Have some scrap pieces with you.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 02:31 AM

The only somewhat success at stick welding sheet metal is using a 6011 rod and welding in AC. Works pretty good.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 04:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There is no better "home shop" combination than a good old stick machine like what you have there, and a little "pee pot" inexpensive suitcase wire feed machine for the thin stuff. That combo will do almost any job you have. The big stick machine for the trailer hitches, and the little wire guy for the body material.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] That 40A breaker would be perfect. Use a minumum of #8 wire to feed over to the welder. After the system has been in use for a while, re-torque the connections on the breaker just for good measure. AND DON'T USE ALUMINUM WIRE.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] What I would do is run the #8 feeders to a little SUB PANEL in the garage, and then have that 110/220 panel with a few breakers in it feed to all your stuff. We rented a house for the last 11 months after we dumped our CA realestate before moving to the Midwest, and what I did in order to work in the garage with all my equipment was make a nice PORTABLE sub panel, mounted on a board, and fed THAT with a heavy cord which plugged into a big plug that I installed on the wall of the garage and THAT plug was fed by a 40A breaker. When we left, I recovered everything except the 40A breaker and the wall plug.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]When you buy rod, be sure that the box says "AC or DC", not DC only. Some of my favorite rod is DC only. We used it for welding pipelines where overhead and vertical welding is routine.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode