OT where to buy a reverse drill bit locally? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

OT where to buy a reverse drill bit locally?

is this something that like Lowes has or is it uncommon?

Ive never seen one anywhere locally, and now I find myself in need of one, and I dont really have time to order?

maybe NAPA?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 10:13 PM
madmaxx

Re: OT where to buy a reverse drill bit locally?

is this also know as a left handed drill bit? I was a my local ACE True-Value hardware today looking for a bit and I noticed rack with what I think was called left handed bits on it. If you have and ACE you might want to try them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 11:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I worked for ACE for 5 years and I don't think that we were able to get them. Thats not to say it isn't worth a try. A lot has probaly changed in the past couple of years since I left. Why not call a local machine shop and ask where they get theirs. Or maybe try one of those "drill-out power extractors".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 07:37 AM

MSC. You still haven't gotten their catalog? Try mscdirect.com. They have about 99% of the tools you could ever want, and a huge selection of parts and supplies.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 08:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

ok...is this one of those left handed screw driver things?? if not..i dont get it.... drills are reversable so its not like you need a special drill bit for a drill that only goes one way...... and what difference does it make if you have a left or right handed drill bit.....they all make holes right? its not like a tap where theres thread or something that matters?

am i missing somethnig or is this a joke that i just ruined :-\
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 09:30 AM
Way Outta Control

Most normal drill bits are fluted and sharpened to turn in a clockwise direction. When you drill into the broken stud it's actually tightening the stud in the hole, unless the other side of the hole is open and it was threaded all the way through. That only serves to make it worse, - stucker?
Turning a normal bit backwards does nothing.

The reverse or left handed drill bit is fluted and sharpened the opposite direction for rotation in a counter-clockwise direction. When you are drilling the stud out with one - use a bit slightly smaller than the normal tap size for that hole. As you drill you are hollowing out the stud, at some point it tends to grab the stuck stud, then the fact it's turning counter-clockwise it'll turn the stud right on out for you.

Machine tool supply houses have them, or can at least order them. Pricey.

I've had some success with simply sharpening a drill bit the opposite way and turning it backwards. The flutes don't carry out the chips so you need to keep washing them out - use a squirt bottle with cutting fluid or water (not oil, that keeps it from cutting.)
You have to use a good quality drill bit, not the Chinese stuff to keep it from breaking. The flutes normally are the real strength of the bit, being the wrong way it's easy to break. Don't push hard on it, easy does it. If you break it off in the stud you have a real problem.

If it's a real critical location and if it's worth the expense, there are services that can remove it. Call a good automotive machine shop, or a big truck repair shop, or heavy equipment (tractor, graders etc) dealer (CAT, CASE etc.) to find them. These services are usually mobil, they come to your place or to a jobsite. They use a method of removal by electrically burning it out, similar to arc welding, only the reverse. They are expensive but save the day. They make it look soooo easy too.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 11:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

ahsoooooo......i understand now
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A few quick hints for extraction:

1. 500 rpm or less---don't be fooled by "high speed drill bits". Drill bits are designed to cut, and too much heat will dull them quickly. So, use a quality electric drill with a progressive trigger, or (much mo betta) a quality air drill with an air regulator, so you can just mash the trigger for slow rpm goodness [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

2. Drilling a small pilot hole is great for control and cutting effectiveness, especially when using left-hand bits. Some quality bits have pilot tips, but these aren't as effective.

3. Centering the bit in the object (stud, bolt, etc.) is paramount, especially for extraction, since the primary goal is to maintain thread integrity. Sometimes very difficult, since stuff never breaks off flush [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

4. You get what you pay for, so a set of quality bits to go along with a quality drill is important. Regular high speed, Cobalt, Carbide, etc. -- can cost several hundred dollars for a set; make sure to take good care of them. I know, a set of $40 dollar B&D's is all you need, but try cutting into something really hard, like a broken off carbide bit---good luck [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

4. For said emergencies, a set of Carbide Burr bits (or better) is a good investment, especially for chewing through metal quickly, as well as blasting through that $10 Cobalt LH bit that just broke off, 'cause your arm got tired and couldn't keep the drill straight [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

5. Be patient!! The slower and more careful you are, the more succesful you'll probably be---let's face it, ya prolly got into this mess because of impatience, now let's get out of it w/o costing a fortune!

6. Extractors come in all flavors---but be careful; alot of them exert pressure towards the theads, and are generally working against your goal, providing expansion inside when contraction is really what you want. Use the largest extractor possible, since they have less chance of breaking in the hole (been there, done that -- burr bit to the rescue [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] )

6. If you do screw up again, its time for a Heli-coil [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode