OT Dana 80 in a tow rig messed up need advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

OT Dana 80 in a tow rig messed up need advice

A buddy of mine has a 97 Dodge diesel dually with a dana 80 rear in it. He has taken it to a fairly reputable 4x4 shop in the town he lives in 4 times and besides $1400 in repairs he still has a rearend that is just not right. The last time the guy kept it for a couple weeks and then said he pulled the cover and everyhting looked "OK". The guy that has the shop is basically a one man operation. He originally replaced the ring and pinion and limited slip and bearings. The problem he is having is a pop at all speeds when going up grades or pulling something. It is a noise and you can feel it jerk like it has something slipping inside. Not a does it once and goes away it does this continously while climbing the hill or pulling.
The shop guy is worthless and won't fix it. I am inexsperienced with setting up R&P (only done my own). Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with this thing or a possible solution? A loaded open carrier runs like $400 to 600. I figure he could find a 14 bolt or dana dually rear cheaper than that..... The gears appear to be good and meshing well (factory dana gears). We are assuming this is a carrier problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 06:35 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: OT Dana 80 in a tow rig messed up need advice

If it is a chatter type noise, make sure that he added 2 bottles of Mopar friction modifier. The clutches on the carrier should have been soaked on modifier for at least 20 prior to installation of the new carrier. If they havn't, it may make the same type noise, more so around corners.

He should try taking it to a factory Mopar dealer and have them check for TSB's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 07:50 AM

i would bypass the 4x4 shop and take it to a TRUCK (like semi's) repair shop that rebuilds differentials. look for a shop that uses genuine Spicer parts. they kinda giggle when i take my drive-shafts and axles in for repair because they are small conpared to what they usually work on.

it sounds like a limited slip problem. are you positive enough limited slip additive has been added to the gear lube? double check that the tire diameters on the rear are all the same (or close). take a small, cheap, flat (not curved like the nicer tapes) tape measure and wrap it the around the outside of the tire to get its diameter. all the rear tires should be fairly close (within an inch?). if you get much deviation, i'd talk to a truck-tire place and see what they say.

matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:51 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Having many vehicles with LSD's in them, I'd also say it was the limited slip. One I had used to pop like that, under power, and it was the friction plates sticking together. Another bottle of friction modifier and it came out of it. It's also do it in the corners, but sound like a hub grinding, and feel like a locked in front end on pavement. The rear end was just too tight. In fact, one of the ones I have now (Trooper with 164K on it) will lock up too tight and always chirp the tire, even when I don't mean to. Add another can of the modifier and do several tight figure eights in a parking lot to get the modifier into the clutch packs. It should come out of it. An additional can won't hurt anything either, just don't overfill it too much.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks for the suggestions. He is going to try the LSD additive and if that doesn't work, look for a nice 14 bolt dually rear to toss under it. Probably be cheaper than fixing the 80 again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode