Crazy step idea! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Crazy step idea!

Now that I'm waiting for the CJ to get back from the welders (repairing bell housing) I keep getting wacky ideas on what else I can spend my money on. This new one I felt like sharing. So here it goes...with the lift and big tires its tough for shorter people to get into my CJ, so I want to put some steps on. But I don't want anything that will hang low and make me lose the ground clearance I've got. So I remembered that I've got a spare winch motor that the PO gave to me with the Jeep. So I was thinking about making some steps that would slide in and out from under the body using an electrical motor. I have blueprints in my head but no way to put them into a program to show you all. How much work do you all think it would take to hook something like that up, and is there room to mount something like that? Also any ideas on how I could make it work with a remote? Let me know what you all think!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:36 PM
JesseA

Re: Crazy step idea!

way too complicated man. I dont like nerf bars but heres a good use for them. put some grab handles on the roll bar.

Jesse
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:41 PM

while it is good that you are using your brain to come up with creative ways to accomplish your goal, I'd have to agree with Jesse that it is way too complicated for a simple thing. One more thing to maintain and fix.
Do a search for H8monday he did some nice removable side steps on his YJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:45 PM

Jesse is right, unless you're building something for the car show circuit. That's the kind of stuff the Kalifornia Kustomizers do.

If you need steps, I like the ones that are suspended from a couple of pieces of fat steel cable. The cable is stiff enough to keep them in place, but pushes out of the way easily, so they won't be damaged or snag you on an obstacle.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

It is a tiny bit complicated, especially with the remote idea. But I drew some plans on photoshop, not real technical or neat looking. I'm going to try and attach them to this post. I was figuring the winch motor is two directional so it would work for this. Take a look at my plans and then let me know what you think one more time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 845350-step plans.jpg (48.1 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

And if it wasn't kinda obvious I'd have the square stock on some sort of tracking so that it slid nicely.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 05:43 PM

A couple of problems with your idea:

The way you have it arranged, the motor is going to travel, half the distance of the step. That is going to make it difficult to mount the motor. It's probably going to have to be on a track, too. That's just extra complication.

Or have you just drawn the arms that link it to both steps? If that's the case, you've got two long rods sideways across the full width of the Jeep, which will be likely to catch on trail obstacles and be damaged.

Also, the winch motor is a relatively high-speed motor. It could run at 6,000 RPM, or more. Your arrangement only has it making a few revolutions between positions. It won't reach full speed, but it will be going pretty fast when it hits the stops.

You're going to need switches to stop the motor at its limits, and they will need good protection against mud, sand and salt spray. Also, the motor will need good protection from the elements.

A winch motor is way more powerful than you need, and way too fast. If you want retractable steps, I'd suggest that you start with a window or power antenna mechanism from a junkyard.

Instead of the steps sliding out, consider supporting them from four links, maybe six inches long. Then the step can swing down and out. Swinging the steps will be easier to engineer than a slide, and easier to repair when it gets banged up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Good points. I didn't realize how fast the winch motor turns, and I forgot about the stops. Well it sounded neat in my head. I did think about swing down steps, maybe I'll try those without the motor. Thanks for that info.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 06:21 PM

A very simple step and cheap is to take 3/4" conduit about 4'long bend it in the middle hold it next to the Jeep get it the drop you want for steping in. Then cut the extra off leaving about 4" above the door step area. flatten this out and bend it over the body. You can cut a peice to fit between the 2 uprights if you want a nd weld them in or leave it just with the "U" shape. When you step in you reach down and pull it up and slid under seat. works great and can be made in about an hour.
GP'n
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:31 PM
JesseA

with the power in a winc motor youbetter have some GOOD retention straps on that second idea should you decide to implement it, as it'll be ejected from the jeep at dangerous speeds. Its a novel idea, and I like it for those kromed up disco trucks. use your engineering abilites for something that makes the jeep more functional.
That said, I would be using a little winch for a four wheeler to control this setup. sorta like the cable step method. but smaller cables that would rap up below the rockers. i would use the small winch and run a double line, one going to each side. this line woule pull up the step and release it, but it would not support the step, the bigger cables would do that.

Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode