soon to be a jeeper..some ?s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

soon to be a jeeper..some ?s

well I can get my hands a on a 91 YJ.. and I want to turn in it into a moderate rock/trail jeep. Now I was thinking about procomp 4" springs... and 33s.. Possibly if there worth it 1 1/2" lift shackles. But I need something with good wheel travel.. 3-4" front travel.. Now I dont know if its possible i dont know about jeeps.. I know is My GMC jimmy dosent have but 1-2" front travel.. Now.. what can i do with the stock axles to get the most flex out of the front end? Now with a carb... I wont be at really steep angles but soem times i will prob be at a pretty good angle prob no more there 50* will i need to do a TBI switch? or will I be alright! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 02:23 PM
Official Historian

Re: soon to be a jeeper..some ?s

3-4" of travel? As long as your shocks aren't limiting it, you'll have more than that stock. Most use the stock YJ springs or rear CJ springs all around in a SOA configuration for gobs of travel. BTW, your profile is still blank.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:51 PM
Journeyman

91's don't have a carb either, they're fuel injected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well that fell through.. haha this sucks.. But he is origanally from Buffalo.. And I look under the fender well and at the frame its rusted.. and i dont want it.. But what years had the fuel injection? TBI or EFI? And do any of the CJs have it?>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:09 PM
JesseA

All CJs came from the factoy carbed. YJs came carbed until 92- in 93 they went FI.

YJs are Good jeeps- look at what H8's done to his- but youll get into the round Vs square headlights thing - they have stronger frames than CJs but weaker axles. AMC 20s arent great but slap the on piece or FF axles to them and there pretty rugged - as long as you dont twist the tubes in the pumpkin.

Jesse
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:16 PM

The 91 - 95 model year YJ's were fuel injected.
As for the axles, the YJ has a Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front, usually with 3.07 gears to the best of my knowledge.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:26 AM

Avoid '87-89 Wranglers. They've got crappy carbs and worthless transmissions. Yank the sway and track bars first thing, and get some extended brake-lines and longer shocks (Old Man Emu's shock will extened 2" more than a stock shock, but are the same length when compressed). You'll be amazed how much movement you can actually get like this.

Don't buy ProComp springs (or Rough Country) if you want suspension movement. BDS, Rustys, Rubicon Express, Black Diamond, Old Man Emu, etc. are all better quality. Buy the most complete suspension system that you can find.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:29 AM
Way Outta Control

On the bright side... that Jimmy'll make a great tow vehicle... every Jeep owner needs one (for obvious reasons.). [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I found a system I believe Im going to look in to once I find a jeep haha.. but I need some figures.. Its the rubicon express 4.5" suspension lift on a YJ... and If i got the 4.5" lift as well as a 2" body lift.. Would i clear 33s safe enough? Thanks!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 08:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 91' Renegade with 31' with stock suspension, so with a 2" body lift there shouldn't be a problem. If you put that much suspension lift in you might want to replace the shafts. While you're at it get rid of that [email protected]#$ slip yoke on the transfer case. It'll keep you from grinding the transfer case up when you lift it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode