Can't get clutch to disengage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can\'t get clutch to disengage

I just put in a scout T-19. I used a bellhousing off of a t-176 with a new clutch for a 77 cj with a 4 speed. The throw out bearing and arm are the ones used for the t-176 clutch. I am using a wilwood m/c and slave and I can't get the clutch to disengage. The slave cylinder pushes the throwout arm a good four inches. I think that I have the wrong throw out bearing and arm, but I would like any other ideas before I tear it apart, and try a different one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 12:22 PM

Re: Can\'t get clutch to disengage

i just went thru a similar problem with my scrambler. i "thought" that the slave was pushing the throw-out arm far enough...but it wasn't. climb under the jeep and manualls (with your hand) make the throw-out arm push against the pressure plate fingers. you will not be able to move the fingers and it will feel like it hits solidly. there should be a 1/8" gap between the end of your push-rod and where it contacts the throw-out arm. my problem was i had a 3/4" gap and it would not disengage and allow the clutch to slip. i ended up lengthening my pushrod and all is happy now! let me know if you need any further assistance.

btw, what master cylinder are you using?

matt
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jeepnmatt, thanks for the reply. The distance is about 1/8", I have even adjusted it far enough in so that the throw out bearing would "race". The master cylinder is a 3/4" wilwood unit that I bought at daymotorsports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 01:00 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Years ago, after an engine rebuild on my '58 MGA, I couldn't get the clutch to disengage. Everything seemed to be right, but the clutch just would not disengage. It turned out that I had put the clutch disc in backwards and the springs, which are off center in the clutch disc, got caught between the flywheel bolt heads.

On an MGA, the tranny comes out through the passenger compartment. When you have to take one of those back apart for something like this, you never forget.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ7 taz-I didnt know you could put one in backwards. or was that just on that type of clutch? I have replaced several clutches, so maybe I just got lucky before?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, I just went out and tried to manually pull the throw out bearing lever back and it won't disengage at all. For those of you running a t-18 with an AMC engine what did you use for a clutch, throw out bearing and lever?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:27 PM

I used a stock replacement Jeep clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing on my T18 conversion. I used my original T150 bellhousing, it has the standard clutch fork and linkage, not the hydraulic stuff. I didn't have a problem with it.

Sorry I can't help but you asked what others with T18s used.

Ken
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:45 PM
Official Curmudgeon

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

CJ7 taz-I didnt know you could put one in backwards.

<hr></blockquote>Absolutely, can't say about all, I haven't done a lot, but it seems like the new ones I've seen were marked.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 11:24 PM

I have a t18 in my CJ, and i used a centerforce II pressure plate with a stock disc (turned the right way), and throw out bearing. The only problem I encountered was with the fork. I needed to notch out a section of the clutch fork in order to clear a mounting stud for my t18. If this is not notched the clutch won't work.

Alec
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, I pulled the tranny again and the clutch was in the right way, and everything else looked fine. Now I am stumped. Did you guys use a 3 finger or diaphram setup? Would it matter either way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode