Trash on the Trails!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Trash on the Trails!!!!!!!

We went camping this past weekend with a couple of friends and found a couple of trails to ride. Well all i can say is that some people just suck. There was trash everywhere on these trails. What makes it much worse is it is from people who don't even have 4x4s. I am talking about all the dumping of washers/dryers and appliances and other household crap everywhere. It is such a shame that these are the poeple really give our sport a bad name. We can preach all we can about cleaning up after yourselves when you trail ride, but how the heck do you educate these [email protected]@holes about dumping their crap in the woods. Almost all of the stuff i have seen dumped can be picked up at the curbside. It is very very frustrating that we are going to lose trails to others who dont care about anything, and we cant even reach them to say something. I would like to put out a plea to the jeeps and four wheelers that are in the construction business, or demolition businesses to educate the smaller operation fly by nighters to throw the stuff at curbside for the trashmen to take away. I can see most of these loads came from a trailer or small pickup, and that size is not that big for the garbage men to pick up. And if you see anyone illegally dumping refuse out the woods, immediately call the cops.
[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I had to vent...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:35 AM
Yukonart

Re: Trash on the Trails!!!!!!!

Hey it's cool, Dan. This is something I'm also very frustrated with, too. I've seen perfectly decent furniture, etc sitting out in a field or off in the bushes and it makes me wonder the same thing. What's worse is that some of this stuff could even be donated to charity to help those less-fortunate, but these people who dump are too lazy to take a few extra minutes out of their day to drop it off at a Goodwill or Salvation Army. You're not venting, Dan. . . . this is a serious problem, everywhere. Would be nice if some of the laws were tougher on this, but in the end the people have to be caught doing it for the laws to be enforced.

Anyway, I share your sentiments, Dan.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 09:12 AM

Sad to say, but true.

Most of the land closures I have seen were a big result of too much trash for the land owner to stomach. I would fence off my land too -- after seeing how drunken idiots tear up land, set things on fire, and throw stuff all over the place.

We used to do trail cleanups, but the problem was that after a week or two, things were just as bad as before we cleaned them up. There were junked burned out cars, furniture, broken glass, appliances, etc. Everything that did not burn had bullet holes in it.

Personally, if I owned land that I 4-wheeled on, I would let my friends come out with me and have club rides on it, but it would be fenced off and closed to the public. They just have no sense and enjoy destroying things too much.

I am sure that the clubs have brokered land lease deals with some of the counties. I am sure that if a club had the proper insurance and ability maintain the land properly, the county would lease them some land to conduct club activities on. That is standard fare with many other organizations that do their thing outdoors and might endanger the general public. Model airplane, model race boats, and go-cart racing groups are good examples. They do this sort of thing all the time.

The sad part is that the vast majority of 4x4 groups have no desire to have any responsibility for something like that.

Best regards

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 09:12 AM
Veteran

Normally, when I'm on the trail and we stop for poser pics or lunch or fixing one of elusive's Jeeps[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img], I'll start picking up some of the trash. I keep a roll of trash bags in the back of my Jeep just for that. When the day is over, I'll have one or two bags full. Some people just don't get it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 09:30 AM
Can't Get Enough

I hear you! One of the local wheeling spots is on the way to the county landfill. Paved roads to the landfill, no charge for county residents, yet this area where we wheel is constantly used as the dumping ground. It is not 4wheelers for most part, it is lazy slobs that do it. They have no respect for anything. Every spring there is a big cleanup back there, and several hundred cubic yards of garbage is picked up. The next day, people will have dumped more stuff back there. I have called local law enforcement when "new" garbage with identifying info is found, but they claim they cannot do anything because they cannot prove the identified is the person who dumped it. The real stupid part is people work harder to dump out here than the effort required to just go to the landfill.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 09:44 AM
JimD

I grew up in a very small town that had alot of back roads into the country, When we would go out for a run and find a dump site or trash that someone had left we would report it to the local law, BLM, Forest serv, ect. They would go through it looking for names or anything that would lead them to the person. I even remember them staking out a little dump that had been used for awhile. I have spent many of my weekends cleaing up another persons trash. BLM used to let us burn the trash on their land.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 09:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Same here. Entrance to Our local wheelin area is filled with everything from Washers and Dryers to matresses to household garbage, and even a dead and decaying dog that looks like it had been shot. once you get past the entrance it gets clean agian with the occasional dump hear and there. Really pisses you off to see that crap! As soon as you clean it up, here follows another idiot dumping more.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 09:55 AM
thejunker

We were driving in the Mount Evans wilderness the other day behind Evergreen, CO and saw a sign that said: "Illegal dumping fine $50.00"

Now, I know a lot of places have free dumps, but up here, a truck load of garbage will typically cost more than $50 to take to the dump, especially for large items...

Still, it is quite absurd that in this day and age, people still think it is ok to throw their trash where ever they please. I have stopped people before when I have seen them doing this, even to the point of throwing the garbage back in their truck. I am sure they just go somewhere else, but what can you do? I have called plates in before as well, but the police do not really seem to be very interested in "policing" this.

Perhaps if the fine was moved up to $10,000 police would be more interested so that they could generate some revenue.

So I got off on a little rant here, but it drives me insane. I always carry a load of trash bags with us when we are in the outdoors, a usually end up with at least a half bag full by the time I get home. Colorado is not bad (Tennesse was the worst place I have seen for illegal dumping), but the situation is not improving with the constant expansion of the west...

my $0.02
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 10:12 AM
Yukonart

I agree, Junker. . . . if the fines were raised in many places to make it VERY cost-prohibitive to illegally dump, I think more enforcement would take place, and less dumping would result. Hmmm. . . gives me some ideas for election day voting. . . [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 02:44 PM
Can't Get Enough

Last year on memorial day weekend, we were camping with the jeep. Took a ride on Sunday and saw a camp set up at the end of the accessible road. It was a real messy camp. When we came out several hours later, the camp was gone but not the garbage. we filled two large garbage bags before we proceeded down the road, only to run into the campers down the road some. I carefully got there license number, description of the truck and trailer, and turned them in to the county sherrif. The sherrif told me it was on USFS land to report it to them. I called USFS and reported it. Two different district offices. I then called a friend who is the head ranger in another district but who knew the enforcment officer, to try and get things rolling. NOTHING. They finally came back and said they had confronted the "campers" and they denied everything. It would be our word against thiers and very difficult to prosecute. I personnally thought it was a cop-out. But I do know I got to know the inforcement officer and have successfully seen other reported incidents get charged and convictions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode