83 CJ carb to FI conversion (contimplating) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

83 CJ carb to FI conversion (contimplating)

I am interested in learning more about the conversion kits to convert CJ carter BBD fuel system to a fuel injection system. So far I found a kit that Chrysler will install (only way to to warantee) that basically converts my old 83 258 to a 1998 4.0 Chrystler engine. This kit costs about $2000 and includes just about everything new to replace on the old block (intake manifold. fuelpump, etc.).

The second kit I learned about was a conversion made by Holley ~$800 that uses the existing intake manifold and is what they call a self contained fuel system including the new electric fuelpump and own computer brain.

I now see that some are using the Howell conversion and was wondering if anyone knows how it compares to the others? Or if there are other Kits I do not know about. I am going to convert but I am just trying to figure which kit would be best for my stock Renigade 83 manual CJ that I have had a love/hate relationship with since 1986 when I adopted it. Can anyone offer advice on how to best approach this transplant. I have not yet seen the instructions for any of these kits and really just want to know if 1. They work and 2. People are passing emission tests if their states require them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 83 CJ carb to FI conversion (contimplating)

The Mopar system is the most expensive as you've found. It doesn't convert it to a '98 4.0 though. It converts your 4.2 to have the same basic EFI as a '94 4.0.

Howell is also very popular. You really should do a search either on this BBS or Yahoo on it. Lots of info if you'll look for it.

Why is a warranty on installation an issue? None of these kits is difficult to install by yourself.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 01:26 AM

And if your a simpleton like me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] you 'll get all the help you need on this bbs!

I an doing the Howell. The general consensus is, people have more problems running the Holley Projection. The Mopar makes the most power and has the price to prove it. The Howell is just right! At least I have been told so. I let you know when it runs. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I went with the Howell system because the MoPar system was too spendy (although I agree, the nicest system) and the users of the Holley system have had part availability issues (have to order parts direct from Holley). The Howell system uses all GM parts (except for the wiring harness and the TBI to intake adaptor) that are available at local auto parts stores or any GM dealer. My Howell system has been up and running for a week and 200 miles so far, and not one hickup. I'm happy with the choice I made.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Snowtow, BigHG, Smokngun, thanks for the replies:

It sounds like the Howell system is worth looking into. I was'nt even aware of it before I joined this BBS. I will definitely start my search for more info on it. It seems a good middle of the road. Now if I can only do a halfway decent job of putting it in as it sounds like Mike did. How long did it take to convert Mike? The CJ is my only means of road. No other car available and can't walk to work. That is the kicker. I wanted to keep the CJ completely stock but havn't been able to find or rebuild a carb for it that lasts more than 6 - 10 months before the old poor run and stall out starts again. After 16 years of this it is starting to get a little anoying.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 11:32 AM
Way Outta Control

If you haven't had a look at SierraJeep.com, it's well worth the time and effort to read. Here's two excellent links on CJ EFI and SMPI upgrades that I'd highly advise reading.

&lt;-------------------&gt; <a target="_blank" href=http://www.sierrajeep.com/moparmpi.htm>Mopar Multi-Port Fuel Injection

IMHO.. Howell's the best (I have one), and if you're going to start tinkern' with the engine.. you'd best NOT buy the HESCO/MOPAR SMPI unit.... it's kinda hard to re-program the Eprom for hot cam's etc.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 11:45 AM

Stockboy,
First please fill out your profile. Knowing where you are would help with whether the FI system you want to go with will meet your state's smog requirements. I put the Mopar system on my CJ7 a long time ago and it works great. I have passed the People's Republic of California smog test everytime with no problems. Here are some links that may help you:

This is a comparison of the Howell system and the Mopar
http://www.sierrajeep.com/fuel.htm

This is the Howell install
http://www.sierrajeep.com/fuel.htm

This is the Mopar install
http://www.sierrajeep.com/moparmpi.htm

The Mopar install took me about 2-3 days. To me the reliability and not needing to make any adjustments to the system were important. The one draw back is that you must use a minimum 89 octane fuel. 91 octane is recommended.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 03:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I worked on it for two days (not including the phone calls with one 'minor' issue) but it was really hot (96 deg, heat indexes over 100 deg.) and I just didn't dedicate myself to finishing it in a day. I easily could have started working on it at 9:00 am and been done and running by supper time. I forgot to mention, smog is not an issue with my Jeep as it's "Customarily kept in the county of_________ (insert 'up north/non-emissions county here)_______" on the DMV papers, so it doesent have to get tested. Next year it's 20 years old, so it gets collector plates, one time fee-reg. and no emissions after that! I love this state.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 03:51 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that if you read the directions fully before starting and did a dry run on the install, you would complete it in less than a day.

Me on the other hand, I don't follow directions to well, I always think I am smarter than the people that wrote the directions. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So, I end up trying it my way and then putting it back the way the directions said in the first place.[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] This means I have already used up one full day and will soon be starting another this weekend.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the great posts and web sites. By the way I'm from NJ and although strict I'm not sure that our standards are as strict as yours in California. I guess I'll find out one way or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode