soa vs 4" springs & body lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

soa vs 4\" springs & body lift

i am prepping some waggy 44's for my cj, i plan on keeping them full width, and i need to decide what i want to do with the lift, and i would like some input. i either need to change the front or rear spring perch. i under stand i would get more articulation out of a soa but but what about road manners? i do not drive much on the road, but now and then i take it to work or take it on week end road trips. i am thinking about 4" skyjacker springs with a 2" body lift. either would work for any tire i want to run. cost is not the biggest factor.
any input would be welcome.
greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: soa vs 4\" springs & body lift

I have heard from a number of people on this subject. I shall try my best to restate what I have heard. The SOA is the best for articulation in most cases over a lift spring. One of the problems with the SOA is the amount of wheel hop that usually develops when you stomp on it. More often than not people add some sort of traction aid, like a traction bar. Another issue that keeps coming up is the springs sagging. With a SOA you end up over flexing the spring. Essentially you are flexing into a negative arch. This weakens the springs considerably causes early sagging and breakage. From what I have heard it is best to use YJ springs. They provide a better ride and flex better. But you should have a good supply of them if you wheel hard or a lot. Some of those negative attributes are the reasons why I went with the 4" lift route. The extra articulation would be great. On the other hand, a good spring shop can make some lift springs for you that will ride and flex better than any other prefab spring. If you live in So Cal I know of a great spring shop. Keep in mind that thinner and more leaves in a spring pack are usually better than thicker fewer leaves. Let us know what you decide on doing and how it works for you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 05:44 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well, this is one of the most talked about, and written about, subjects there is.

In my opinion, I think a SOA, DONE CORRECTLY, will give you the best performance in all areas. However, DOING IT CORRECTLY is nowhere near as easy as some people will lead you to believe. You don't just put the axles under the springs and have a cold beer. Brake lines, Steering geometry, steering links, driveshaft angles, spring wrap, all need to be considered. You can bolt on a 4" lift out of a box, and a 2" body lift, in a few weekends. You could research a SOA for months and then take years to get it right. Depends on which way you want to go.

Higher arched springs will probably not flex as much as a SOA, as a SOA typically has a flatter spring with less arch.

Do a lot of research, and good luck.
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im not a jeep person just yet(hpefully soon to be) But I was wandering With SOA vs. 4" spring packs and couldnt you just go with 1 1/2"-2"shackles with it instead of a body lift? I mean It would probably soften up the ride a bit.. I dont know I am hopping to invest in a YJ and go with procomp 4" springs.. Now I need a rock crawler.. Not major rocks.. But stuff like you find at Tellico(for those who've been) I would only want to run 33s But i would like a lot of wheel travel in front and rear.. My front I was think 3" of travel or better up and down.. Is that possible with the 4" lift springs and 2" shackles?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Would i be better take the Dana 30 out front.. and I think its the AMC 20 out of the rear an put d44S? but Going SOAhow much lift would i be gaining? I was thinkin of 33s with 4.56 gears.. But If I got SOA with D44s.. will I be better off with 35s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode