Home Built Tire Carrier hinge question... (all) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Home Built Tire Carrier hinge question... (all)

Hey all, I'm getting ready to build a spare tire carrier for my rear bumper. I was just wondering what ya'll had used for the hinge point at the bumper. I searched on here and came up with a couple different ideas, but was wondering what seems to work the best.

I have a 50" rear bumper made from 2x5 1/4" tube and am looking to build the carrier from 2x2 1/8 or 3/16 tube.

Any help would be awesome. thanks. I'll be sure to post pics as I build it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:40 AM
jersey89yj

Re: Home Built Tire Carrier hinge question... (all)

My buddy and I built tire carriers recently. We used Rockstompers hinge. It works great and is easy to weld into the bumper. It can be fabricated pretty easily, but for 40.00 + shipping, it was easier to buy. Their website is "www.rockstomper.com". Hope this helps.
JT
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:45 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Gotta go with the rockstomper. Same as mentioned above. It's simple in design.. and cheap enough to buy. No question.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

That looks kinda like what i'm after. The only problem being time.... I'd like to get this thing done before this weekend, so i have a place to put my spare while we're out on the trail (instead of the backseat.) Anyone make their own setup like this??
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:15 PM
JAS

I seen applications that use a 1" bolt as a hinge pin. It was drilled trough the bumper and welded to the swing arm.

The nut was used to tighten things up to prevent rattles and just enough tension in the swing so that it would stay in position while it was swung open.

Jeff
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are interested in the Rockstomper hinge there should be no reason why you couldn't have it in time for the weekend. Rockstomper is in Colorado and UPS would only take a couple of days to get to Iowa. Scott (Rockstomper owner) or Aaron would probably be more than willing to be sure and get the part out quickly if you tell them your situation. They are great guys to work with and love to help potential customers out. There's also overnight or two day shipping as options. Get after it now and you probably could have the part in time to put a tire carrier together.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

True-enough... I'll have to give them a call in a little bit... thanks for all the help guys. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:17 PM
mindbender

I built a rear tire carrier a couple of years ago from scratch. Bought a 2inch wide pipe with 1/2" side walls. Cut it about 10 inches tall. Then with the dremel tool cut spiral cuts into the top 6" of the pipe. Welded it onto the outside of the bumper. Then welded a huge washer that slip over the pipe up about 1/2 inch from the top of the pumper on the pipe. Then bought a 2 inch inside diameter pipe that slipped over the original pipe. I welded the second pipe to the tire carrier. Then I tapped the second pipe with a grease cert. Inexpensive, but extremely strong hinge to hang large tire, cans, etc onto. I then welded a 3/8 inch tab of steel from the bumper and drilled a hole in it. The swing end of the tire carrier sits on the steel tab and a pin and snap lock hold it snugly in place. Solid, handles highway and offroad.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I got one from Rockstomper, but am not too impressed with it. The bottom seal doesn't even stay in it right, so the grease will leak out. Also, the spindle(or whatever ya call it) that the bearings ride on isn't long enough to weld through the bumper. Any ideas how to fix this? I'm thinking of calling them and tring to return it, then build my own. Seems simple enough.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 01:31 AM

Put a sleeve of tubing over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode