Thinking of doing a shackle reverse - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 01:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thinking of doing a shackle reverse

I am considering doing a shackle reverse on my CJ. Has anyone done it? What kit did you use? Did you custom fabricate a kit? Did you have to move the axle forward to prevent the tires from rubbing the body? If so how much? Thanks to you all in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 07:39 AM
MarkF

Re: Thinking of doing a shackle reverse

I have not installed mine yet, but I bought a MORE (mountain offroad) kit. I belive it also moves the front axle forward 1". If not they have a plate ($15) that will move the axle forward 1".

There is a big debate about the merits/detriments of a SR. For an onroad vehicle it is a big improvement, the downside is nose dive in braking. Many people feel that with good shocks like the RS9000 you can control the diving. For off-road, many people feel it is detriment to climbing over obstacles.

I should also mention that MORE now has snubby front mounts for their SR. I have their older kit with longer front mounts.

Good luck
Mark F
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I prefer mine the way they came. The only thing I would change is going to coils for a better aproach angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 08:33 AM

Check out this home-brew shackle-reversal on Jeepgod.net

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why would some consider the SR a detriment to off-roading? I always geard that it helped out off-road and was a detriment to the streets as it causes nose dive during braking. What else does it cause?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

lilblkyj:
What about yours do you like? Have you ever driven and off-roaded a Jeep with a shackle reverse? Can you give some of the pros and cons?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:05 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I've done a shackle reversal on my CJ, and it seems to have issues with LIFT springs. I'm running SKYJACKER'S 4" lift, and the caster is WAY out. I've got a temp. fix, but I'll eventually have to cut the axle and rotate the pinion and perches. I'm not sure if you are running the lift springs or not, but it's something to look into.

I love the ride of the reversal on a daily basis. I can almost sleep behind the wheel. I have wheeled it, but only in mud/dirt.

The problem with rock crawling is you supposedly loose all of your traction when approaching an obsticle. The jeep GIVES, instead of PUSHING up over it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:05 PM
MarkF

There is a great article on off-road.com that describes the pro/cons of SR. With Arched springs that get longer when they compress, would have a greater benefit of the SR. On road, nose dive is the downside, the positive the bump absorbtion. Many people have also felt that the Jeep wanders less after the SR.

As mentioned above teh downside for offroad is when hitting an obstacle the axle would move back rather than up and over the obstacle.

Hopefully someone will find the link to the article I mentioned.

Good luck
Mark F
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 04:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've got a SR on my AFW framed CJ-7. The "Brake Dive" issue is non-existent for me. I have HAMMERED on the brakes to avoid hitting someone in a cutlass with no brake lights and the nose went down, but nothing that I would consider out of the ordinary or dangerous. It drives with two fingers, and rides much nicer than with the stock setup (although I changed ALOT of stuff at the same time). I have Skyjacker 2.5" springs and their 'Nitro' shocks and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I don't really do any 'extreme' wheeling, just Fire roads and hunting trails, so I can't comment on the withdrawls of a SR in that terrain.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 05:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought a MORE YJ kit and then hacked it to pieces and redesigned it when I went SOA and YJ leaves on my CJ. I hardly ever drive mine on the road, just use it for rock crawling. On the ocassions that its been on the road, it drives better than the stock setup ever did.
Offroad, mine works great. I dont have any problems with traction loss when encountering any size obstacle.
To each his own I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode