How much are fuel filters for a TJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much are fuel filters for a TJ?

I went to AutoZone and they said its a dealer item on a TJ. I looked in the repair manual and its also ON TOP of the gas tank. This should be fun.(note the sarcasm)

Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How much are fuel filters for a TJ?

After 96, fuel filters are no longer serviceable. If its just preventive maintenance, put your money elsewhere. If there's a problem, lets hear it, there's some smart fellas around here... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alright...this has been said in other posts as well but here goes nothing.

The Jeep is driven on average 50 + miles a day. All highway. When I'm on the highway and keep it between 55-60 I dont have any problems usually. If I kick it on up to 65 or so it 'cuts out'.

What happens is it will start slowing down and you push the gas and there is no reaction. NONE. I have an automatic, and leaving it in gear of course keeps the motor running. If you put it in nuetral, it dies. Start it back up and it runs fine, like nothing happened.

I'm beginning to wonder if its not a fuel pump or some kind of sensor. The damn thing gets (no kidding here) 10 miles per gallon. 15 gallon tank, 150 miles running to the gas light. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I hear guys on here getting 16 and 13 and so forth, even THAT would help me. (33s w/3" total lift)

So far I've been told it could be a crank position sensor, (seriously doubt it, no trouble codes), fuel filter, and/or fuel pump.

I dont know what to think. I thought I'd gotten bad gas, but its still doing it, although not as often, 3 tanks later. I just had to rebuild the transmission, do you think that this problem could be linked to it?

If anyone out there has help, that hasnt seen this before, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 09:03 AM

I'll suggest it again. Cause if it works then its a $2 fix. Go back to Autozone and get a think of Marvel Mystery Fuel Injection cleaner(its a red bottle). Try that and see if it helps.

If that doesn't help any then it could possibly be an O2 sensor. LEVE or one of the more knowledgable guru's please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't go out buyin an 02 sensor just yet because them things cost $90 for a TJ. But from my understand of the O2 sensor when your trying to give it more gas its sending bad signals to the computer and messin up your fuel mixture.(Bad explanation but its hard for me to put it in words)

Hopefully someone will get on and correct me if I'm wrong. BTW I get 17 mpg in my 97, 33s, 4.10s, 5 spd and a lockright in the rear. Pretty good I reacon.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

HOLY MOLY! I gotta get my Jeep fixed. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'm going to try the Mystery oil today, I need gas again. LOL! Filled up a day ago. How much does the 5 speed have to do with my mileage? At 55 mph I'm at 2100-2200 rpms on the tach...where are you? (I know 4.10s going to be a little higher) Maybe I should do a auto to manual swap...with a LS1! lol!

With an 02 sensor going bad shouldnt I throw a trouble code? Maybe my check engine light burned out! I dont know what to think.

Thank you for the advice, again!

Marcus
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I spoke with the original owner and he said it did the exact same thing to him once in Texarcana. He told me to put a full tank of gas in it, 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol, and a bottle of Mystery oil/injector cleaner. He said it ran like a scalded dog after that. He said thats prolly why I'm getting the ****ty mileage too because its having to channel water through the gas.

Here we go!

Marcus
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 04:15 PM

Marcus, the ECM is probably not going to report a bad O2 sensor unless it completely looses signal from it. It's possible that the sensor is inaccurate and telling the ECM the mixture is lean. If this is the case, the computer dumps more fuel in.
I don't think your RPMs have much to do with it. My 1983 258 w/TBI runs about 2400 RPM at 55MPH (4 speed with 3.54 gears) and it gets 20 MPG.

The check engine light should come on if you turn the key to "run" but don't start the engine. If it doesn't, it may be burnt out of have a wiring problem.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:46 AM

Marcus, you can check the engine codes and test the light by turning the ignition to on-off-on-off-on and leave it there. if there are any engine codes it will display their numbers on the odometer. The last code letting you know its over is 55. You can check out the codes and everything at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.webejeepin.com/Check-Engine.htm>http://www.webejeepin.com/Check-Engine.htm</a>

I don't know about adding alcohol but just some Marvel Mystery should do the trick. Let us know how everything turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode