new gears or terra low? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

new gears or terra low?

ok im about to have my jeep on the road and it has 3.54 gears in the scout axles under it. im running a 350 in it and cant decide to whether to go to 4.11s or do a terra low kit in the t-case (dana 300). i need it to be usable on the street but im more concerned with trail use. its not a daily driver. the tranny is a sm420 with 7.05:1 first gear and no overdrive the tires are 36x12.5 swampers. what do yall think i ought to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast

Re: new gears or terra low?

I think if you use 4-Lo for most of your off-roading and don't drive on the street than the 4:1 gears sounds like a good plan. You can install it yourself although the article I read on it says you need to grind out some metal in the case to make room for the gears. I didn't see if you had lockers or open diffs. If you are happy with the axles then I'd get the 4:1. If you are going to add lockers or limited slip anyway, I'd go with the lower gears like 4:56.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do the math. The Tera Low will give you a better final crawl ratio, and not hurt your street performance. If you are going to do only one, the Tera Low is the way to go. Thats what I did 2 years ago, never regretted it. BTW, the install is easy, manual gearboxes are no mystery. Just make sure you take off enough of the case in the one little spot you need to grind. I used a dremel with a carbide bit, took a couple minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 02:53 PM
Pooh-Bah

Depends, the tera kit will only help in 4 lo, the lower gears will help all the time. The tera kit will get you to about a 99 crawl ratio, the ring and pinion about a 76 (rough calcs). If you feel the Jeep is lacking all the time do the gears, if you think it is okay now do the tera kit.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 03:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Here is what my moonguy-in-charge[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]of geartrain issues says..........and he DOES have a point....that if you go to a deep under in the gearbox, the TORQUE on the drivelines goes up. If you go to a deeper gear in the differentials the driveline torque stays the same.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]So.........he recommends that the drivelines be upgraded as a supplement to going to a tera low if a tera low ends up being your final choice.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode