Getting ready for Howell Fi Install, first problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Getting ready for Howell Fi Install, first problem

I was looking over the instructions and comparing them to my jeep and I have already have a question.

My 84 is different from the 1990 schematic they use in the manual. I only have 2 vacuum connections on my CTO valve. The manual shows 4. Am I missing something here?

How do I route the vacuum lines to overcome this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 07:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Getting ready for Howell Fi Install, first problem

I just completed this install on my '83 and had the same issue. With the two port CTO, just run a vacuum line from port 'A' on the front of the TBI unit to one port on your CTO valve. The other port will feed vacuum to both the EGR valve AND the canister purge signal, so use a "T" in the line. Then just run your vac advance for the distributor directly to the intake manifold fitting next to the TBI unit (above the EGR valve). This worked well for me. The instructions don't really go into detail on using the 'single' CTO like we have, but I figured it out by seeing what everything needs for vacuum. Page 5 of the instructions does state "Some earlier, non-emissions models, and non-CA legal kits may perform better with manifold vacuum for distributor vacuum advance." So I went with that suggestion.

Let me know if you need any more help as this is all still fresh in my mind (for now [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 09:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Have you considered just buying a 4 port CTO valve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You can do that, Howell even gives you the OEM part number for the 4 port CTO (J3238932), you just don't need it for the system to work properly. Mine works great!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 10:07 AM

The four port CTO valve is just two valves in one case. Two of the ports get tied together and connect to the TB. You should be fine using the single CTO valve with a "T" in the line after it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Load me up with anything else you think I should know!

Thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 11:05 AM

Smokngun, shouldn't you run your vac advance line to ported vacuum instead of manifold vacuum?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 11:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

12 volt 'switched' power (pink wire to the Howell computer) can come off of the red wire that goes to your factory oil pressure gauge. This is the only source of 12v power I have found that is hot during 'Crank" and 'Run' (Thanks LEVE)

You DON'T have to drop the heater duct or dash to access your factory computer. I think this instruction is for YJ's. The retaining screw that is towards the front of the Jeep is a beyotch to get to, I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket with a phillips head attachment. Install the Howell computer using wide, stick on Velcro to attach it to the stock bracket.

Where it says to "Cut the rest of the (factory) computer harness away from the main trunk", DON'T! Just unplug it from that flat plug near the brake booster. The only wires you need to cut and splice out of that harness are for the electronic ignition.
Also, there are instructions to "open up" the 4 pin connector at the electronic ign. box (harness side) to attach the purple wire... the plug does not come apart on CJ's. I just spliced it into the purple wire coming out of the ignition box. I may try to find a replacement type plug to make this connection correct in the wiring harness, but it works the way I did it.

A 10" air cleaner ~fits~, but it nearly touches the power brake booster. Find a 9" filter assy if you can.

I can't think of anything else at the moment that would help, but if you have any questions, post back here. I'm leaving to go shooting for a couple hours, but I'll check back here when I get home.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 11:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

jeeplvr, the vacuum schematic in my Chiltons manual shows the vac advance going to manifold vacuum. If it is connected through the dual CTO as Howell states, it would be ported. Without the dual CTO, they suggest manifold vacuum. Not sure what the correct answer is. Anyone else?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 11:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i had a 4 port switch in my 85 when i did the howel setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode