Howto ID a York - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Howto ID a York

I was out at the junkyard today looking for new leaf springs and I decided to poke around some rigs to see if I could find any Yorks for an OBA setup. Well, I came across 3 or so that were all in Jeeps(Cherokee's and Wagoneer's). Porblem is, I couldn't tell how to figure out what stroke they were. One of them didn't have a tag on it, one of them had a tag but I couldn't get any info that helped me off of it, and the last one had a tag I couldn't read at all. One website I checked out said to look for a sequence similar to "F209R". The "09" being the stroke. Could also be 07 or 10. Well, I couldn't find that anywhere. I was going to pop the ctutch/pulley off to look at the end of the crank, because you can supposidely figure it out from that, but I need a vice or something else to stop it from spining. So did I just not look in the right place on the york? The ID tag had a model number, a serial number, and some other number that looked like a date. I didn't right any of it down though The one I pulled(but didn't get) was from a '77 Wagoneer. Any idea on the stroke length on this one? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Howto ID a York

Check this out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_id.html>http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_id.html</a>.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Thanks for the link. Unfortunetly it still puts me at the same spot....the number they're talking about is not on the metal tag of this York.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 10:17 PM

did you look at this site?
www.kilbyenterprises.com
it might help, good luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 11:39 PM

Jammy, if it doesn't have a York tag on it you are screwed. The only way to tell is to remove the pulley. You are going to need a 5/8 Course thread (11 tpi) bolt to get it off. If you have the bolt you can pull it on the spot without to much difficulty. Just bring a pair of vice grips to hold the pulley.

Check Kilby's onboard air site. It will give you all the id info you need.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Like I said, one had a good tag on it, but none of the numbers matched what I was looking for. Am I just blind? I'm heading back tomorrow, so I'll write down the numbers. I believe it had a model number, a serial number, and something that resembled a date. So now what? I guess I could pull the pulley and check it that way, but how do I keep it from spinning while trying to remove the bolt? I don't own a set of vicegrips that big(6" pulley, if not bigger). Also, what's the 5/16" bolt for? Thanks everyone!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 12:09 AM

You will use the bolt as a puller by threading it into the center of the pulley.. Hold the pulley on the side with the vise grips, and when you screw the bolt in, it will force the pulley off...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 12:30 AM

If it had a "York" factory tag then you should be able to find the model # on it. It could just be worn off.

If it is a Ford Motorcraft tag or any other make on the tag, I haven't found anyway to id them without pulling the pulley.

You can print this out and take it with you. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/shaft_id.gif>http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/shaft_id.gif</a>
This is from the boston manglers site.

Don't forget to put 12V to the clutch to check if it works or not.

Good luck [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

It did have a model number on it, but I didn't see anything like F209R or anything of the sort. Infact, I don't remember any letters at all. I'll have to check again though. Thanks for reminding me about the clutch. I remembered to put my thumb over the suction/discharge to make sure it was working right. What should I do for the clutch? Ask them if they have a car battery I can hook it up to? I assume power goes to the wire coming out of it, and the ground goes to the body of the York? Alsk, when I removed it, there was a bunch of oil that it seemed to dump. I wiped it all up, and didn't see anymore coming out. It seemed there was something nasty on the backside that was waiting to spil apon removel. Anyway, where is the drainplug for the York? How can I know it's not coming from the York? Thanks a bunch!

BTW - Thanks CarbonCopy for the tip on the vicegrips. I never thought I holding it like that.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 01:05 AM

Yea put 12 volts to the clutch and ground the body. I actually brought a battery with me on a handtruck when I was looking for mine.

Check the attachment for some good info on checking the oil in a york.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode