Engine Missing under load
I just finished installing a remanufactured engine...long sad story. Before the demise of the other engine, all was running swell on my 50K miles 85 CJ7, 258, 2 barrel BBD.
After completing the switch over, I can't seem to get it back to normal. The timing "appears" right but the engine is missing under load. The idle is pretty good.
New equipment: long block, distributor cap, wires, rotor, plugs, radiator, alternator, thermostat.
I have triple checked all the connections and they seem fine.
The timing, with the advance plugged is set to 9 degrees. When I reconnect advance the mark goes off the scale but the engine still idles ok.
I'll stop babbling for now. I did my best to install the distributor where I think it is right, but the Chilton's manual instructs me to look for some non-existent "matchmarks".
Oh, lastly, my instincts don't have me replacing coil, carb...because this stuff worked before the migration to the new block.