Heater!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-1999, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heater!!

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone could point me to the right direction. I have an 89 Jeep Wrangler and the heat won't work. I'm in Colorado and it's cold. I have gotten a test light and tested the fuse. It's fine I've been told to check the blower motor. The problem is that there isn't a wire attached to my blower. There is an orange plug that is laying there close and I think it might suppose to be attached. I have attached it and the heater still doesn't work. First ? is that orange plug suppose to be attached? And 2nd ?? is what else could I check? I'll take any help I can get. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 12:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Heater!!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Jeep Girl, this is crazy....my 1987 thru 1995 Jeep Wrangler book shows the same heater that our '79 CJ has??? How can this be?? The blower works through a resistor which is under the glove box, and has three wires plugged into it. BLK TAN and LG (whatever that color is). The motor plug is under the hood on the diagram, under the battery, like the CJs have it. If the blower switch is on High, ther resistor is out of the loop so that eliminates the resistor as a suspect. Find the under hood blower...pull the wire off and check for current....if no current...check fuse (25 AMP) So there are two switches...the heater switch, and the heater SPEED switch. The orange wire should be plugged into the speed switch. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 01:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the information! Out of curiosity where is this speed switch located that should have the orange wire plugged into it. Is it in the engine compartment under the battery tray or on the other side of the firewall? Thanks again for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 09:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] According to this here liddle ol' diagram, there is a switch that actually turns on the blower there on the dash, and another switch that controls the speed right there in the dash. Now they COULD be integrated into a central control; and this is the hard part since I have never even SEEN the inside of a YJ; but there has to be SOMETHING that says Hi-Med-Lo on the dash. If that orange plug-in is behind the dash, look close behind the heater control for some terminals...probably three in a group that matches the plug pattern. Hope this helps a little. Remember...you can pull the plug under the battery and check that wire for current.You can also put current on the terminal that the under-hood wire hooks to an see if the blower starts. Then you'll know it's the circuit, not the motor. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 11:40 PM
BigMan

Hay dave the yj heater controll is is like a car. It has the slide levers like early 80's chevys.
Yj girl. It sounds like your looking for the motor wire under the dash but like dave said it is in the engin compartment, under the battery tray where the motor sticks throught hhe fire wall.Check it, run a wire from the battery to it to see if the motor works. Also you could pull the electrical plug off the back of the heater switch(hi,lo,med switch) and with the key to on check to see if there is power to one of those wires.If not then the break is between there ad the fuse box. if there is power then put it back on, turn the heater so it should run and put the connecter off the relay that sits in the upper part of the heater box(fresh air portion) there should not be power to one of those wires, which one depends on what setting the switch is turned to. From ther the power goes to the motor so by checking like this you can isolate the section where the problem is. My bet is the fan switch.

<marquee>-----JEEP-----It's not just for breakfast anymore-----</marquee>

Al
My web page
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 08:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I think that's right on BigMan, if there is a wire hanging, then it can't possibly work. We just did the heater motor upgrade in our CJ and replaced our switch as well. We have the single switch like yours has, with the resistor on the fresh air duct to get different speeds. Man are we ever getting anxious to get back to work on the SNOJEEP. The project has languished because we have both been too busy at work. I have this week and next of a frantic pace. After that.....well it's all about the CJSNOJEEP. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode