Wrong flywheel help! 89 YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 06:40 PM
Wrangler88

Wrong flywheel help! 89 YJ

my buddies got a 89 yj 2.5L stick, we swaped in a 2.5L from an 84 cherokee, not thinking i used the flywheel from the cherokee, and now the jeep won't start, it turns over but i've got no spark, the ignition system on the YJ runs off a flywheel sensor, i noticed when installing that the flywheels where different but didn't think anything until now when it won't start, can i just get the sensor from the cherokee and splice it into the YJ, i don't want to rip it all out again and change the flywheel, anyone help!! i need this out of my garage! oh yeah and the difference between the flywheels was, that one had more block on the flywheel, not the ring gear.behind the ring gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 08:34 AM

Re: Wrong flywheel help! 89 YJ

'84 Cherokee's had carberators, so their flywheels don't have the 3 notches that the Crank Position Sensor needs to see to control the ignition. I hate to say it, but I think you'll have to swap the flywheels again [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 02:26 AM
Wrangler88

woops! my bad we used a flywheel from a 91 YJ, sorry i've got too many pieces of such lying around... still anyone have any ideas!? come on guys, i know someone can answer this one! can i just buy a sensor from a 91 or new yj and spice it into the 89's harness, the sensor unplugs, just where it plugs in looks different...anyone HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 08:42 AM

The fuel-injection system switched in '91 to the Mopar version, so I'm betting the flywheels are different from that year on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode