Dana 27 help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 02:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dana 27 help

First let me say Iím embarrassed to admit this but through some very unfortunate misunderstandings, my front dif ran dry long enough to mess up the pinion bearing nearest to the gear. So much for the checklist. :mad3: This caused it to start turning the cup in the case, eating shims etc. Really bad news is it ate out part of the case as well. I used one of my set up bearings as a test, and the cup basically drops in and out with no pressure at all. Based on eyeball measurements there is about a 32nd of a play around the cup near the gear side which tapers back as it comes to the bearing seat.

Good news is the power loc and carrier bearings seem to have survived with no to minimal damage,

Enough about the problems

Is there any fix short of a new housing? I am assuming the housing is basically ruined unless one of the great minds on this site has a clever fix.
Can the housing be machined and sleeved, or machined for a larger bearing?
A real back yard fix, but would JB weld hold up under a pressure type load? Yes I realize the bearing would basically be glued into the case.
Does anyone in the Vacaville, Sacramento area have a model 27 Jeep front axle they would part with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 03:09 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Dana 27 help

Cross post this over on the Jeepster board. Someone there will have a D27 case from a C101 laying around.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 03:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with Caver, Goto the jeepster side and ask around for a 27. i believe there was some swapping going on around your neck of the woods lately. It is probably better to just another axle. Heck you have you power lock already out so it wont be much to reinstall it and you will have parts left over for spares.

Dan Stewart 193 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok im a newbe, where is the jeepster site?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 07:28 PM
Official Historian

Click "Main Index" at the top of this page. Then scroll down to the Jeep box and click on "Jeepster-American Jeepster Club".
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 08:18 AM
utahjeepr

I have a 27, but I have no clue where you are. Fill out your profile. I am in Southern California. You should be able to find a housing close to you, and it should be cheap. If you live near me let me know and we can work something out, and yes I will meet the cheap criteria.

You could also try to use some locktite or JB weld to hold the race, but I wouldn't count on it holding. Having the seat welded or brazed and then machined would cost more than a replacement housing.

Could also be a great time to upgrade the front axle, even a Dana 30 is a good upgrade over a 27.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 10:28 AM

Utah's got the right ideal. 30 time.

DSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode