Racing Seats - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Racing Seats

I saw a post on here recently that had a pic of someones Jeep with racing style safety harnesses. It got me thinking of how I want to update and coolify my CJ within the next few years. I won't be making the mods anytime soon, but it never hurts to dream now. So I'm wondering who's put in racing seats and harnesses in and what mods are needed to fit these in? Since I have no airbags (duh) and only lap belts now I'll be pretty badly banged up if I ever get in a wreck. So I'm looking for something a little safer. If anyones got pictures of their seats I'd like to see them. Also is there a better way to mount them in other than to the floor like the stock seats? Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 09:34 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Racing Seats

Nick, I have a set of RCI's in my CJ7 with G-force 5pt harnesses. My seat and harnesses are mounted to the rollcage itself, pictures have been posted the last few days in some of the rollcage threads.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 12:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mastercraft seats makes them that will mount right to Jeep brackets if you want simplicity. They are very awesome too, I have them in my CJ and they are super comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 01:46 AM

PBM, i have been thinking of taking this route due to cost of the seats. How comfortable are they to ride in for any distance? is this your daily driver? I drive 65 miles round trip a day. would i be able to stand them that long? thanks, Wade
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 02:15 AM

Here are my seat mounts

Corbeau Ultra SS, Just a little bit wider than most. With Crow harnesses. I ditched the submarine strap.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 07:17 AM

Craig, DON'T ditch the anti-submarine straps! Yes, with your seating position in a Jeep, it's unlikely that you can submarine under the other belts, but . . . Although they're called 'anti-submarine', they serve another significant purpose; they keep the shoulder belts from pulling up on the center of the lap belt. Without the crotch strap, when your shoulders and chest pitch forward, the shoulder straps tighten and pull upward on the center of your lap belt. That can pull the lap belt off your hip bones and over your abdominal cavity. And that can result in SERIOUS injury - torn intestines, ruptured spleen, torn kidneys and liver . . . Pretty nasty business!

I have read articles that say that a stock 3-point lap/shoulder combination actually gives better protection than a 4-point harness.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 11:49 AM
Pooh-Bah

Wade, no it isn't a daily driver. If you get the padded covers, have the right body shape (person, not Jeep) and get them mounted at the right angle they aren't too bad. I have some friends that are the larger side and don't like them, and a friend with them in a Toy p/u that are straight up, and they rub on your spine. I can go a couple of days of wheeling with them, but DD might be too much for me. I do like being able to wash them off with the hose though.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 12:51 PM

Well i am 6'1" and 250. so i probably better find a seat like the corbeau or something. thanks, Wade
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 01:01 PM

BigHG, are your the Baja SS seats? i cant find anyone that sells the ultra SS. And who did you get them from? did you buy the seat adapter too or just make your cage mounts fit the seats. I see you have a seat slider. I like the mounts you have got there. looks good
i found the ulra SS seats on corbeau's site. nice seat, anyone know of a good place to get them?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 01:45 PM
Official Curmudgeon

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I can go a couple of days of wheeling with them, but DD might be too much for me. I do like being able to wash them off with the hose though.

Well i am 6'1" and 250. so i probably better find a seat like the corbeau or something.

<hr></blockquote>This is one place where you CAN have it all but you have to do a little work.

Get down on your hands and knees and have someone cover you with the plaster &amp; gauss strips like they use for casts. Cover from the back of the head down to the backs of the knees, going around your sides and over the shoulders. Make a male mold from this and sand it enough to remove any rough spots, you don't want to reshape it. Now make a fiberglass seat from the male mold.

You won't find a more comfortable seat . It also adds to the safety, since you're cradled better, you're not thrown about as bad in an accident or roll over..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode