Beer Keg Feul Cell Revisited - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Beer Keg Feul Cell Revisited

I now have the Keg in hand it is a nice Budweiser 15.5 gallon. Problems I have to overcome and what I can think of so far....
1. Needs fittings for supply and return line. I plan to drill and tap the bottom (will be on it's side) and use standard fittings, but will the return line need to be in the top?
2. Needs a vent with a roll check valve. Again drill and tap Summit sells the the valves $14
3. Needs a filler with a sealable gas cap. Dunno here they sell the flush mount replacements in summit but I am not sure it would work on the contour of the keg, as they are made to be mounted on a flat surface. Actually could weld a flat piece on to the side and drill through both it and the keg to mount the flush filler.

Any ideas on any of this? The filler neck has me a little stumped. I don't want to spend a fortune on this (I could buy one of the quick fill 4" things for $75 and weld it on but thats too much dinero for me). The flush mount are $36.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Beer Keg Feul Cell Revisited

Maybe just get the metal filler neck from a junkyard and use a parts store cap. Old Mustangs have a nice curved filler neck that could be welded to the keg. Also, big rigs use straight filler necks with screw on metal caps. That would work even better.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I forgot a detail.... The Keg is of the aluminum variety instead of the stainless variety so it will not be easy to weld steel to it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 12:59 PM
Mud in my Veins

Sure it's easy to weld to, just not with a buzz box.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Surely you know someone with TIG capabilities?

What about bolting a YJ(or similar) filler flange to the top? My Commando flange has 6 bolts, gaskets, and a short nipple for the hose to attach. Would be perfect. I think the curve of the keg could be dealt with, maybe.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I have a buddy that can weld it for me. My Hobart is supposed to be able to weld alluminum but without heat control I don't know how. I didn't think it was easy or possible or maybe just that you shouldn't weld alluminum to steel? The curve is the main thing. I think the flush mount might work with a piece of plate welded on for the base.....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 01:37 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Too bad it's not the '50s again. It was real common to use the kegs for tanks. Glad to hear you're using it, that was the first thing I thought when I saw the old sig pic with the halftop.

For the vent and/or return line, you could run the line into the bottom and use a long tube to run it to the top. Aesthetics, I know.

Look into some of the old sports car parts and/or replicar sites. There were gas caps that were not removable used on A-H Sprites and maybe MG midgets. They were hinged on one side and had a latch on the other, chrome plated too. Some early Dodge Chargers used something similar, I've got one on my dune buggy, but I'd think they would be worth their weight in gold now. Tractors and lawn mowers might provide something usable too. I think I've seen these with pipe thread. Just cut a hole dead center top of the tank, tap it (no pun intended) and thread t in.

Now all you need is some Moon spun aluminum full wheel covers, cowl mounted spot lights, '59 Caddy tail lights, fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror, a piston gear shift knob on an extra long lever, static straps, pom-poms hanging from the top inside of the windshield, a jacket that says, "No Club - Lone Wolf", and a DA haircut. I don't know how you'd handle the fender skirts.[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I think everything but the pom-poms and the DA haircut are still available from JC Whitney.

I'm not giving you a hard time, considering how much the Green Machine resembles a Model T rod, I think the retro would look good if you didn't overdo it like using everything in my list above.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 02:56 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Try large truck parts too as in the saddle tank caps.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 11:52 PM
Mud in my Veins

Maybe you can use one of the 45* necks and bolt it to the side??

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.jazproducts.com/fuelaccess.htm>http://www.jazproducts.com/fuelaccess.htm</a>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The sides aren't flat either but that is a good idea. They cone out to the middle.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 06:52 AM

How about cutting out one or both of the ends and welding a flat (circular cut) aluminum plate in it's place? You would be welding aluminum to aluminum and have a nice flat surface to bolt anything you wanted to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode