Has anyone thought of an import deisel to swap in? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Has anyone thought of an import deisel to swap in?

Well the talk about deisels in jeeps seem to always mention Cummins. They are plentyful, but they are kind of heavy. I don't knoe much of them, but there are tons of deisels in the mitsubishi/isuzu box trucks and work trucks. What size are these motors in relation to the cummins? It is simpler or mor ecomplex engine? I havnt seen anyone metion these motors. They seem very reliable and durable, and especialy for a jeep they may be alot lighter to be put inside the engine bay. I know they are imports and jeeps are american, but it is just a thought. I am sure there are plenty of these deisels in the junkyards.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 07:04 AM

Re: Has anyone thought of an import deisel to swap in?

It is funny. Here in france we had "stock" diesel Jeep made during the 80's by Renault that owned AMC at that time. They slaped in the CJ7 the Renault 2.2(?) liter diesel and turbo diesel.
Boy do I hate those diesels ! smell bad, run bad, sound bad..
Here we all dream of V8 and 4.0 liters Jeep and we do those swaps !
FORGET ABOUT THE DIESEL ! You are lucky to have plenty of GREAT and cheap gas Engine ! Keep them and Enjoy !!
Just my thoughts...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 11:26 AM
FrenchJeeper

i dont really agree with you dear french fellow jeeper... The CJ7 with Turbo diesel engine is a nice one...I don t like diesel because i love big american engine but it has plenty of torque, will never die and doesn't drink to much gas...If i was looking for a reliable, cheap and still "powerfull" jeep i think this would be the best compromise i could make... Sure, forget about getting 200HP, 130HP is the most you can get...
PS: in the post named " am i the only one..." i put a pic of a "French" CJ with a diesel engine, you won't see any difference, but when it starts you will hear it!!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 12:02 PM
BMB
Veteran

Dan, I've thought the same thing. Not that I would ever swap to a diesel, I'm too cheap for that. I've thought maybe something out a a Mercedes car or if your keeping the Jeep really light, a Volkswagon diesel. I haven't researched enough to know if either would be a good candidate. Over the years I have had friends with diesel Rabbits, trucks, and D Mercedes. None of them ever had any problems, that I can recall and they seemed to have adequate power for the vehicle.

BMB
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Has anyone thought of an import deisel to swap

I like my V6 in my jeep, but a deisel would be nice especially around here with alot of water. My buddy has a wrecked VW rabbit with a diesel in it. He wants to get rid of the car, but i think i got him convinced to take out the engine for he does and put it aside. it needs a rebuild. I am going to look for a little sammy to put it into. i had a sammy for my first 4x4 and loved it. So another project may entail putting that deisel in the sammy. But that is way off and on the back burner.

I thought of the isuzu deisel because we have so many of them box/ work trucks running around here.

I would think that would be neat to put in a little flatfender project. Dont worry it would be prom scratch so no real willys will get aan import part in it.

I also wondered about those mitsubishi fuso 4x4 Box trucks. They have a soldi front axle that seems kind of beefy. I wonder if anyone has any info on them. I think JEEPN was looking into them also. They must pretty strong because the work truck gets really abused.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Mud in my Veins

This place <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/>http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/</a> has listings for the Nissan Diesel SD33T(urbo) that was used in the Scout. Not alot of ponies, BUT a fiberglass tubbed Jeep has to weigh half of what a Scout does(?)[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 01:40 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

What did Alfred use in his CJ6? I'm sure whatever he had down there could be had around here...maybe[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Fritz
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 06:11 PM

There was some talk on the POR board about diesels in Jeeps. Apparently, the 3.6 Mitsu diesel in the box trucks is a good choice -- there are supposedly bellhousings for a couple of common american truck transmissions. It is also a fairly common motor. From there, the rest of the swap is pretty easy.

It would be a neat thing to kick around. I think the major hanging point is that the diesels are quite expensive motors.

Still, I think a diesel would make a way better off-road motor than gas. But for now, all the american automakers will sell in the US is gas engines, so that is what I get.

Best regards

John
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 07:04 PM

theres a guy here in ocala fl that has a mercedes diesel in his yj. he loves it... he had to beef up the front end as the diesel is pretty heavy. he pulled the engine from a late 70's model. he is a retired machinist, so he had some tools and know how to work with..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode