In need of 6 degree shims for front end of CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 12:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

In need of 6 degree shims for front end of CJ

I am looking for some 6 degree or more shims for the front of my 73 CJ5. Does any one know of someone who makes them for the 2" spring? Also would prefer the ones that bolt to the spring as opposed to the ones that go over the spring pin. Can anyone help me locate some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 07:13 AM
tys

Re: In need of 6 degree shims for front end of CJ

6 degrees is an awful lot. Why do you need so much? Adding these shims will do two things, change your pinion angle and change your caster.

Chris
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:21 AM
thejunker

You could get the ones from BDS ( http://www.bds-suspension.com/shims.html ) and cut .25 inch off each side. You could probally run them without cutting them as well as long as they do not hit the front diff housing on the pass side spring.

--pm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:24 AM

especially in the front , you want to keep the punkin as level as possible. Shimming it aint a good idea. just my $.02 worth
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 09:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

DO IT.
i went to 8* caster, and steer with 1 finger now,
instead of 10 white knuckles.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 09:37 AM
tys

Careful! You don't understand what his intent of adding shims is. If it's to adjust the caster for better on-road drivability, as in your case, then I agree. If it's to adjust pinion angle to resolve binding, then I disagree as on-road drivibility WILL be impacted (unless its a trailer queen). Regardless, he needs to understand the implications of adding shims.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 09:39 AM
Can't Get Enough

They are difficult to find, my allignment shop found them for me. By all means, go for them. For all the negative posts, the reason you use shims is to correct the bad geometry we create when we all longer shackles, lifts, etc.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 10:44 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Shouldn't you be pointing the pinion at the transfer case? I've never heard of wanting to keep the pinion level. That seems odd to me.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The problem I am having is real twitchy steering and the steering does not self center. This is usually a direct result of too much negative camber. I already have a set of 3 degree shims and the pinion is level. I think I am fairly safe to increase to 6 degree wihtout any binding problems. The 6 degree should also help correct the steering problem. I believe that I am fully aware of the implications of adding the shims, but if there somehting I am not seeing please let me know. I appreciate everyone's answers. Please feel free to offer up any other opinions as I am very grateful for any and all help.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 05:22 PM

So, your pinion is level with a 3* shim(?). Your adding 3* more to correct Caster, which will point the pinion down 3* and will add to driveshaft binding when that side droops.

Are you using extended shackles or is it a scout axle or what? Why is the caster off to begin with? Get an angle finder and check the caster frist(6* to 8* is good), before you just start throwing different size shims in there.

If this is an axle your planing on running a long time, do it right, cut the perches and knuckles, set the correct caster and pinion angle and reweld it. In the end you'll be glad you did and it's not that hard to do(if you weld or have a friend that does), just a little time consuming.

As far as shims go, IMO, their a bandaid fix. It don't matter how long someone has used them on their rig, their still a bandaid fix.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode