2" Body Lift on a CJ-7, Need any Mods? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

2\" Body Lift on a CJ-7, Need any Mods?

I just purchased a 1984 Jeep Cj-7 which I intend to tear down and rebuild. In the process of doing this I'd like to install a 2" Body lift to gain some tire clearance. Will I have to make any modifications for steering, or anything like that???

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 05:59 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 2\" Body Lift on a CJ-7, Need any Mods?

I don't have experience with a 2" on a Jeep(I did one on a full size Chevy), but my 3" on my CJ7 required lengthening the clutch linkage bracket, lengthening the clutch linkage, drill out the plastic plugs in the steering shaft to lengthen it, check for wiring that gets pulled too tight, check for brake hoses that are too short after the lift, cutout the floor where the tranny and xfer case shifters go through... that's all I can come up with right now. Did I leave anything out?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:25 AM

Have to drop the radiator & shroud too. Gas tank fill/vent hoses may need extending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 03:51 PM

Skip the 2" body lift and lift the suspension...body lifts are a bad idea, depsite their costing way less. Hold back an extra $200 or so on the rebuild and get a 2.5" lift or get a 3.5-4" lift which will really be 2", or so, of actual lift. Even a "cheap" suspension lift like the Rough Country kit, it will be better then a body lift. The 3" Rough Country kit is $389.00 w/shocks and a pitman arm and can't be beat if all you want is tire clearance. If you want flex and performance look elsewhere.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Skip the 2" body lift and lift the suspension

<hr></blockquote>
Not necessarily. A small, 1" or 2" body lift in conjunction with a suspension lift and some body trimming can be a very good setup if thought out and done sanely. Any more than 2" is getting in the "don't go there" area, though.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

I felt that a 3" lift was too much for me. I just want to be able to put some 31's or 33's on the jeep. I contemplated a 1" lift because I wouldn't need to make to many adjustments but I'm not sure I'll be able to clear 31 or 33" tires
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In order to clear 33s on a widetrack CJ you will need a 2.5" susp. lift along with your body lift. Otherwise, at full compression with the wheel turned that direction you will catch the lip of the front fender.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 09:42 PM

I have a 3 inch body lift and a 4 inch suspension lift on my 79 CJ7. I reinforced the tub with 5/16 steel plates at the body mounts. I haven't had any problems with the tub shifting or the bolts tearing through the tub. I have had the jeep in some precarious positions. I once slid down a hill sideways, mostly on two wheels. The jeep landed on the bottom pretty hard without any damage to the body mounts or shifting of the tub. The driver's side seat covers were in bad condition though.
With that said, if I was going to do it again, I would do a spring over. The time I spent reinforcing the body and the cost of the suspension lift would have equaled out to a spring over.
I personally have never been sure that some of the people that knock body lifts have ever had any experience with them. I don't know how much more stress a 3 inch body lift puts on the body mounts than a 1 inch or 2 inch body lift. I am sure that there is more stress, the higher the body lift. How much stress is too much? I've read stories about shifting tubs and metal tearing around the body mounts.
Consider all the advice you get, do a search on lifts and then do what you think is best for your situation.
Something else to think about, it usually cost less to do all the suspension mods at one time. Will you want 35's next year? If so, plan for it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode