CJ Parts Needed/Wanted - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

CJ Parts Needed/Wanted

I am now looking for a replacement bell housing for my clutch. If you read my previous post a few days ago you'll know its broken, well now its time to fix it. I've tried a few places near me and no one seems to have it. I've got a 1977 CJ-5 with the 304 V-8. I definately need that part before I can get the dang thing back on the road. I am also on the look out for a dash for it, with guages if possible. The PO had herculined the one I got now and I don't particuarly like it, and the only original guage left in is the spedo, which the fuel and temp guages on don't work. I have aftermarket guages, but the temp one hasn't seemed to work yet. I'll be taking the dash off sometime (hopefully soon) to work on some stuff behind it, mostly getting wires so they don't hang in sight, and I figured that'll be a good time to put in the new dash. If anyone has ideas on where to look for those parts in the Chicago or surrounding area let me know, but I certainly won't mind if any of ya'll have it. Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:58 PM

Re: CJ Parts Needed/Wanted

The instrument panel is little more than a flat piece of sheetmetal. If one doesn't jump up and bite you, go to a sheetmetal shop and have them cut and brake one for you. Then you can put in the gauges you want where you want them.

Or if you can wait, I will be finished with mine sometime soon, I hope. You can have it for the shipping from the other end of the state. Or drive down and get it. It's good for you northeasterners to see how the rest of the state lives. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I know pretty darn well how the rest of the state lives. I spend 9 months of every year in wonderful Macomb, IL. Which is about as redneck as I'd like to get. In fact its already got me sayin "ya'll" if you didn't notice from my post. I'm in no real hurry for the dash, I just need that bell housing ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 09:10 PM

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that an AMC I6 and V-8 share the same style bellhousing ... ??
More importantly, what trannie do you have?
There are two that may apply ..
The T-5 came later ...
but the T-15 and the T-150/T-176 styles may apply in your case.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I have a T18 tranny, if that helps you any.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 05:50 AM

Good luck on the bellhousing. When I broke mine I welded it. Do you still have the piece that broke out?

When I finish the body swap I'll have a hood, instrument panel, tailgate and grille in pretty good condition. I'll put up a post then. Watch for it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:32 AM

According to Novak you should be able to use a T150/176 bellhousing <a target="_blank" href=http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm>http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm</a>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:38 AM

Any bellhousing from a 76-79 CJ should work.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:46 AM
Official Curmudgeon

I talked to a my local Jeep guru about your bellhousing. He is very Jeep knowledgeable having sold both new and used Jeep parts for a living for a lot of years. He says it depends on what the T-18 you have came out of, there are different bolt patterns. If it's the Ford pattern, I have 2 258/204 to T-150/176 that probably fit. If it's the AMC pattern then he thinks he has one.

You need to get the bellhousing out and measure the bolt pattern and depth. Making a template for the pattern w/measurements would be even better. Also get a picture of the throwout fork mounting, there may be some variations.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I have no clue as to where the T-18 came from, but I'm thinking about just getting it welded now. I am short on cash and need to get this thing road worthy before school starts. When I pull it out I'll try to find out where it came from for future referecne.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode