I cut my spring clamps... What to really expect - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I cut my spring clamps... What to really expect

Well I did it. I cut off my spring clamps that are nearest to the ends. I left one other clamp on the spring pack and that is towards the center. I cut them to try and squeeze some more articulation, but more importantly to try and get a little more comfort from my spring packs. Am I dreaming that this will ease the sense of having my fillings break from my teeth on the trail? I have the 4 inch skyjacker early CJ5 springs. I am going to either get the Hollbrook springs, or just do a spring over on my CJ5. I havnt been able to drive the jeep yet because of other issues, but I just would like to know what to expect.

Thanks
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 'Caloosa Jeepers" member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I cut my spring clamps... What to really expect

you can expect more flex and you can expect a shortened life expecatance from your springs. it can also increase axle wrap. i did that to a set of springs once and i won't do it again. you best be is get a good set of springs and let them work the way they are designed to.just my op.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: I cut my spring clamps... What to really expec

High5,
Well these springs are the cheapy ones, so if they die.. GOOD! I did leave one clamp on each spring, and actually i have only done the front springs, i will get to the back ones later. I can use some more articulation. I dont think i will kill the springs so soon, i dont drive the jeep daily and we dont haave rocks or any stuff around here really to flex the springs. I am still hoping though for a little mroe comfort though. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 07:06 AM

Go to a leaf spring shop and get some plastic stips to install between the leafs. You need it mostly at the tips. If you don't have it already, it reduces the friction between the leafs and helps out a bit.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 07:18 AM
Veteran

Like high5 said. No way to make crappy spring have a good spring rate. They might droop more if that's what you were going for but won't help much in the fillings department. Quality springs (=$$$) weather it's leaf or coil are the heart and soul of a good suspension. You're also better off not cutting the clamps but rather heating and straigtening them. The best thing to do is to get some quality close to flat springs with good spring rate and go to town on the body to make the tires fit.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: I cut my spring clamps... What to really expec

I guess I can live with that expectation. I will just pray the death of the springs, and then possibly get the hollbrook springs, or do a spring over. I have access to wrangler springs, but putting them onto my early 5 frame would mean extending it a bit, but that may be beyond my abilities right now, and i would rather have my frame the length it is now. Great thing about this now is, when i get money to gether ot put into the springs i will have the OK of the wife, because she hates my still jeep springs as much as i do.

I was wondering if anyone has taken those hallbrook prings and did a spring over with them? They are only 3 inch lift, but i wonder if the offset nature of the springs would do anything real funky to the axles and steering in the spring over.

Thanks guys
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode