locking hubs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

locking hubs

This question will truly establish me as a rookie on this forum. Anyway...here we go. My 85 CJ7 is a little tempermental when I try to put it in and out of 4 wd (high and low). It's hard to get into 4 and once it's in, it's hard to get out. I'm mostly interested in 4wd high as I'd like to drive some flat sandy roads in the Pine Barrons of NJ. My question...Do you need to lock the hubs in order to use 4wd? If so, are there any tricks I can try other than expensive repairs. Any advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: locking hubs

Yes, you need to lock the hubs in order to be in 4 wheel drive. Inorder to lock the hubs all you have to do is turn the dial on the hub from 2 to 4 or free to lock whatever it might say. If you are having trouble locking the hubs (not sure what you meant in your question "hard to get in and out of 4 wheeldrive") pull the hub off and clean the hub lock out, very simple to do. If you have trouble it would be best to buy a service manual
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 04:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Most CJ's with a d300 all share that same problem. Not sure if you have a auto or a stick. But just be slightly moving and either push in the clutch or drop it in neutral. As soon as you do that shift the tcase. It takes a little time to get it down, but once you do, it goes in and out easliy. You can use 4wd with the hubs unlocked but you will not be turning the front tires.

One more thing where in jersey are you from?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:06 PM

Pulling the lever out of 4WD can be difficult because slight differences between the front and rear tires, turning, or being on an uneven surface, can put the transfer case in a bind. Sometimes I have to floor the throttle, back out of it and jerk the lever to get out of 4WD. It seems to go with the territory.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 04:04 AM
Can't Get Enough

Please fill out your profile. Again where in NJ? Several people hear from eastern PA, south NJ.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 06:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you all for your replies. I live in Columbus, NJ. My CJ7 has a stick (manual). I think I've completed my profile although I'm really not that exciting [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again. I'll try everyone's tips.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 06:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

PS. How do I get rid of the "(Stranger)" that appears ofter my username. I don't want to be a stranger.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:04 AM
Official Curmudgeon

I had the same problem with my D300. I read somewhere that the common problem is a bent shifter. Both shift rails have to move precisely together or the lockout pills and notches will make it hard to shift. I replaced the lever and the linkage plate and mine has shifted smooth ever since. I found good parts at a salvage yard, but that was years ago. If you have to buy it new, the lever is high $$$.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:05 AM
Pooh-Bah

It is based on the # and frequency of posts. The more you post, it changes to other names, though I have never seen a comprehensive list of what they are and how many posts it takes to change them.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:17 AM

Titles: <a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/faq_english.php?Cat=#titles>http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/faq_english.php?Cat=#titles</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode