CJ rough idle problem / Not a Carter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

CJ rough idle problem / Not a Carter

Info that may be useful: 258/Weber/TR'd/new fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator set at 3.5
The problem: Yesterday at lunch I go out and start the CJ but she won't idle. Keeps stalling. I turn the idle screw up and she starts to idle, but roughly. It's fluctuating about 200 RPM's. The tank was getting low so I filled up last night and noticed that once it was full the 2 rubber hoses from the top of the tank have a slight leak from the overflow. No gas came out the spout. Just a slight drip down the tank. I'm ordering new hoses today.
So I'm thinking maybe the pump is not getting enough pressure due to the air leak. So I check the inline clear fuel filter that is right before the carb after running the engine and it's full and looks good. Any ideas on what's causing her to idle so rough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 09:03 AM

Re: CJ rough idle problem / Not a Carter

When you say that two hoses are leaking, are they the filler hoses or the supply/return hoses? If they are indeed the supply/return lines, then yes - there is a chance that this could cause a rough idle.

You may also want to try disconnecting the regulator and run full pressure to the carb to eliminate that from the equation.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 09:41 AM

Have you tried seeing if it will idle with the air cleaner off?
What do your plugs look like?
When was the last time the carb was rebuilt/cleaned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I cleaned the air filter last month and the plugs and carb are only 6 months/7K miles old.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I don't think that it's the supply/return line that's leaking. It appeared to be from the rubber filler and vent hoses coming from the top passenger rear side of the tank.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:18 AM

When I asked about the plugs, I didn't mean if they were worn. I was wondering if you had checked them to see what your idle mix looked like.

Regardless, if the carb is only 6 months old and has been doing fine until now, I would be surprised if that was the cause - unless you have been REALLY mean to it. Sounds like you're probably on the right track with the fuel pump/lines/pressure issue.

Just trying to think of any other issues it could be. I'll shut up now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Good call. I thought about checking the plugs but haven't. I'll do it tonight and see what they say.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ah yes, I know it well... You've had a carb rebuilt, then about 6 months or so and the rough idle starts! Well, mine was dried up vacuum lines that didn't seal so well once they had been moved by the carb rebuild. I sprayed starting fluid around the connections until the idle shot up and voila! I replaced the line and she purrs like a kitten. I hope yours ends up that easy.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well....I put on the new filler and overflow hoses and the problem continues. I put on a new fuel filter and no change. Checked the plugs and they looked good. They were brown and no build-up of crap. Pulled the air filter off and ran it with no change. Shot some carb cleaner down her with no change. Then looked into the bowl and rev'd the engine. Noticed that only the jet closest to the valve cover was dropping fuel. Even when I rev'd it hard. I thought that both would drop fuel when the pedal was dropped. Any Weber experts out there or anyone with other ideas?
Thinking back this came on slowly. It started with just a rough idle and then worked it's way into a stall. I currently have the idle screw all the way in and the pressure regulator wide open to keep it running. As long as it's getting fuel and stays above 900 RPMs it's running fine.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 06:00 AM

Personally, I would just rebuild the carb. Seems to me both jets should be squirting. My 32/36 was the first carb I ever rebuilt and it was really easy. Just be sure you have a decent sized work table to sit at and some bowls/buckets to soak things in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode