Transmission input shaft end play??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Transmission input shaft end play???

How much play should the input shaft have? I have never thought much about it before... seems kinda normal to have some as the pilot bearing in the crankshaft supports the transmission input shaft.
Someone is interested in the SR-4 transmission I have. It was not mounted in a Jeep when I got it. I have not removed the cover. It ****s to all gears and shafts rotate free & smooth in all gears... even when I grab the output tight with a leather glove and turn the input to simulate (light one at least) load.
I want to be sure I am up front regarding condition on this deal... so here is the detail -

On this transmission:
Looking at the input shaft from the end, there is about .06 (all around) between the O.D. of the input shaft and the I.D. of the input bearing retainer sleeve. If I grab the end of the input shaft and move it in any direction... it moves enough to close that .06 gap to about .04. Seems to make slight difference what gear it is in.
Is this an indicator of problems forthcoming? ..or is this normal tolerance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Transmission input shaft end play???

Not sure about the SR4, but I know in the T4 and T5 a bunch of input shaft end play is normal without the trans in the vehicle. The SR4 is similar, just uses ball bearings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode