steering all over the place.what to do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

steering all over the place.what to do?

i know that a cj's steering is never great, but the other day on the LIE, i was turning my wheel more than 90deg, or half turns to keep in lane. That in itself is pretty damn dangerous. i was puckered to no end. the only oem parts are the steering box and steering shaft. i did install a box brace. i have beefy shackles etc... what other solutions do i have? new steering box? better steering shaft? i'm almost afraid to drive it on the highway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 08:58 PM

Re: steering all over the place.what to do?

After rebuilding my '7 I had the same problem. I ended making some 7 deg. shims for the front axle. It made a huge difference. Most people would say not to shim the front but I made them out of steel not aluminum like most are.
Brad
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:05 PM

Have someone turn the wheel from lock to lock while you look for the problem. It could be the U-joint in the steering shaft, worn or out of adjustment gears in the box, Box mounting bolts loose, tierod and/or draglink ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, caster may be wrong due to too long of shackles(should be close to 7 degrees), or as simple as a wheel alignment(hit anything hard lately?), I've been happy with about 3/8" toe-in with 38"+ tires.

If you must use shims on the front(i wouldn't), use steel like "glasscj" mentioned and tack weld them to the perches so they don't get "spit" out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 08:37 AM
Nickmil

Wayne is dead on. Also look for bad spring bushings, loose u-bolts, steering box mount/frame cracks, loose steering box bolts. Nickmil.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That sounds exactly like what happened when I sheared by steering box bolts. DON'T DRIVE IT untill you determine what the problem is.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 10:11 AM
Official Curmudgeon

You didn't give a lot to go on. Your subject line says, "steering all over the place …", which I took to mean that it was making sudden pulling motions. This can be axle u-joints. Lock the front hubs and see if it gets better.

Later in your post, you discuss it as if it is a constant pull to one side. That could be as simple as a very under inflated tire or one hub locked and the other open.

That's not to say it isn't one of the other problems mentioned, but check the simple stuff first.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 10:50 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My bet is the tierod/draglink ends. But I agree with the others. Have somebody move the steering wheel (slowly, back and forth), while you lay underneath the front end. Look for parts that are taking a while to respond.

Oh.. and fill us in. It's hard to help with so little information.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

right, sorry about the little info...
speed is anywhere from 50 to 65mph...very little wind...
my entire front end is brand spanking new this year. 9" axle, beefy shackles, new drag link, tie rod, pitman arm, shocks, knuckles, u-joints, Steering box brace, ball joints,tie rod ends,. basically, the only items stock are the pump, steering box, and steering shaft. when i got home I did however notice that my right front Shock mount had broken off and was hanging up on the frame. I do not have a trac bar/sway bar.
i am considering it though. i will check all my connections tomorrow.. Matt
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 09:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AND MAYBEE LAY OFF THE BEER BEFORE YOU GO FOR A DRIVE....................lol...sorry..just jokes
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:39 AM
Veteran

Drivin a jeep is not for sissies. If you can't take the pucker factor go drive a slammed Civic. Why, here's a vehicle you can (and required to) finally DRIVE! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

But seriously, do you have an SOA setup? Besides all the issues mentioned above a loose SOA or lift spring setup can walk on you if you don't have a track bar. The springs and the whole axle can move laterally under the body due to road inperfections which can feel like a loose steering. Either tighten up all the shackles up front or install a removable track bar. By the way, I never had as much fun driving a vehicle at 40 m/h as I had with my jeep after finishing the SOA setup! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Talk about a work out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode