electric fan ideas? one fan wired to push & pull? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

electric fan ideas? one fan wired to push & pull?

i mounted an eletric fan between the grill and radiator. it really moves some air, and is designed to be a puller.........(out of a Volvo)

so my idea, wire it so that with the flick on a switch, it can be OFF or a PUSHER, or a PULLER. my thinking is while wheeling (slow driving) have it pulling air out of the engine compartment, and then during normal street driving have it pushing air throught the radiator into the engine compartment.

any thoughts?, i'm really hoping the one fan can keep everything cool, only testing will tell.......

here's a look at how i have the air flow all blocked up,,,,,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 08:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: electric fan ideas? one fan wired to push & pull?

Do you have a shroud? Running stock fan? I bought the stock shroud, filled the hole with some sheet metal, then cut a new hole for a 16" puller fan(no mechanical fan). Runs with a thermatic switch. I need to install a relay for real dependibility. But it works in any condition, and that's in the South Carolina heat.

I would think my set up would work for you. A shroud will improve your fan's ability to cool... 100%. See similar posts......
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:09 AM

A fan designed to move air one direction won't move air very well the other direction due to the curved profile of the blades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

drew, he has a shortie cj-5 front clip on his yj... no room for the stock fan..
I think its a great idea, but i promice you'll forget to change it from one way to the other..
the electric fan has a shroud of its own...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:12 AM

I doubt that you will ever want to run the fan pulling air from the engine compartment. You would be pulling even hotter air through the radiator ==> not as much temperature differential between coolant/outside air ==> not as much heat exchange ==> cooling system has to work harder.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 11:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: electric fan ideas? one fan wired to push & pu

You should leave the fan like it is. I use two electric fans and no mechanical fan. When working properly they are great. Have have had period problems now and then by unplugging the fans and then reversing them, thus making the engine really over heat. It is funny. The temp with both fans working fine is so constant, that I know something is wrong when it goes up a little. Finally I color coded the wires so i wouldnt have that problem again. My whole club usually knows the problem if i have problems overheating. Next time It happens I will be getting the Clubs Dumba$$ award.

Having the fans push air out won't do much ,but help the motor run hotter.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 12:21 PM

Re: electric fan ideas? one fan wired to push & pu

Don't bother with trying to push hot air out of the engine compartment. You are more concerned with getting air through the rad. That will keep the engine running right. You want something that is foolproof and not complex when one of your friends has to drive it.

The stock shroud from the engine works wonders at getting good air flow through the rad. Use it like mentioned above, or trace and cut out a piece of plywood to bolt into the shroud instead of sheet metal for fan mounting. neither I, nor my friends had problems with HUGE v-8's and old stock (ford) radiators with 1 16" electric fan -- shrouded correctly.

The little wimpy shroud on the electric fan is fine if you have a round 18" radiator. You need air pulling through your whole radiator for it to work right.

Best regards

John
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:14 PM

Highfill, that's an interesting point about pulling hotter air from the engine compartment forward, and undoubtedly true. On the other hand, every tractor and piece of construction equipment I remember noticing had a 'pusher' fan on it. Probably to avoid blowing the heat over the engine and towards the operator. Construction equipment usually has a more open engine compartment, so the air the fan pushes probably isn't as hot as it would be under a Jeep hood. On the other hand, it would be a lot cooler under the hood of a crawling Jeep if the air were going forward.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 09:14 PM

Hmm... Jim_Lou, interesting point yourself. I'm not as familiar with tractors/construction equipment. The only thing I can come up with there is if they were designed that way to possibly lower the amount of airborne crap pulled through (or into - and stopping up) the cooling fins.

I guess when they know that the vehicle isn't going to be moving fast enough for air to move through the radiator on it's own, then they design it with enough cooling capacity to handle to warmer air from inside the engine compartment. Maybe they are trying to keep engine compartment temperatures down a bit... no clue.

You also have a good point about the fan being designed to be more efficient in one direction than the other. Overall, I just think it would be a be simpler and stronger design to permanently wire it to bring air from the front of the vehicle, through the radiator, into the engine compartment (even though I think that would be a "pusher" design in this situation).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 05:59 AM

Dust is everywhere around heavy equipment, so I doubt that airflow direction would make any difference. Underhood temperature and heat around the operator could definitely be affected though. I wonder what 3/4ton had in mind in the first place with the bi-directional idea. How about it Gregg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode