Jeep Trouble...Why is it always ME? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep Trouble...Why is it always ME?

*SCREAM*

Ok...I focking LOVE Jeeps. I freak out when I see one on the road thats bigger than mine, or smaller than mine, or has a cool arse bumper or something...WHY THE HELL WONT MINE ACT RIGHT!!!!
I treat it better than a girlfriend! I even get it on with the tail pipe! HAHAHA! I'm kidding

First it was the tranny, now its got some kind of problem where if I drive around 70 on the highway it starts cutting out like its not getting fuel. The transmission is going out AGAIN. I drive the thing like its got 44s on it! Like a GRANDPA!

I dont know what to do. I'm sitting pretty on my payment and so forth, buying a new one would mean stock Jeep, no one of a kind bedlined sides, no 33s, no lift, just another Jeep. That I'd have to dump assloads of money into to make it comparable to the one I've got. BUT, I'd have a warranty. I'd have a big car note too.

I dont get it. My dad is more anti Jeep than...than someone who's REALLY anti-Jeep. I hate it that this one ended up just like my 90 model I had back in high school. That thing broke on a daily basis, it broek down more than my daily driven 500 HP Mustang! I dont get it! HOW do you guys have such good luck with your Jeeps? Do I drive too much? I'm in it about 80 miles a day. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]( Drinking that gas.

Please tell me its just my luck, and all the Jeeps out there are a mechanic's bill waiting to happen!

Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 01:54 PM
round2it

Re: Jeep Trouble...Why is it always ME?

C'MON KID, SUCK IT UP YOUR STILL DRIVING A JEEP!
Just kidding.................
Can't answer your question but I can feel your pain!
Sometimes I wonder if I am doing something wrong to cause problems then I realize it's just luck of the draw!

Good luck!
Jeff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:06 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ah, a topic I know something about.

Well, unfortunately, this is precisely the reason I don't drive a jeep every day anymore. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Once a jeep is built up to run really well offroad, it just doesn't do long highway trips all that well anymore. For me, the mud tires, 4.10s with an automatic, winch, flexy suspension, rear tire carrier, etc., etc., not to mention the national speed limit of 85-90 mph here in the northeast. ....the jeep just can't do it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Not every day, and not at 85-90 mph. Plus, it didn't do it that well mpg-wise to start with. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I do a lot of highway now with my job, and logistics simply made me get a daily driver. If you're driving a built jeep 80 miles per day, which must be mostly highway, pushing a lift and 33s with an automatic, ....you're gonna wear it out quicker.

If you want a highway jeep, build a highway jeep. I tried for a long time to make a jeep that did everything well. It ain't easy. I'd love to build a highway jeep. Keep it light, make it a standard tranny, ATs, no winch, no swingaway tire carrier that weighs 200 pounds. And you'll still only get 20 mpg at best.

That said, proper maintenance can keep stuff alive longer, but pushing a jeep made for offroad on a highway all day is tough on it.

My current daily driver is a (gasp) Mazda Miata. Gets about 32 mpg, goes 85-90 effortlessly, and it's a convertible. In the used market they're pretty reasonable, and they're built pretty well. People drive them into the 200k+ mile range.

Anyway, just my opinion.
Good luck
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Feel better after the rant? Good!
Yes, a jeep is a mechanic's bill waiting to happen to those who:
1. Don't want to work on it.
2. Don't want to learn to work on it, and do a half-a$$ed job just to get it running.
3. Don't keep it up, maintain, and check it out so often.
If you get in the habit of fixing stuff BEFORE it leaks/makes noise/etc. then it will be a very reliable jeep. Otherwise, you spend the time up front or much more time later, that is life.
I am not saying you don't work on your jeep, I am sure you do, but those are the rules, I guess.

As for cutting out @ 70, when is the last time you changed your fuel filter? Run the tank almost dry lately? Otherwise, does it happen all the time @ 70? Hard starts? Anthing else?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You have a really good point. I would totally drive a stock Jeep around all day, and I actually have the perfect daily driver sitting in front of my house. 93 Civic. BUT, pops is giving it to my little sister's friend who needs it more than I do.

I will probably end up selling my Jeep. I need to focus on other things, BUT I DONT WANNA THINK ABOUT SELLING MY JEEP! NOOOOOOO! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] CRYING! haha

We'll see what happens. Maybe I should put some 28" tires on! j/k

---I work on it and keep it up like crazy. It has been in my possession for a little over a month now, and the hood has been up more than it ever was before, I guarantee that. I take almost too much care of my vehicles. My neighbors walk by and ask 'what are you doing NOW!?!' 'changing blinker fluid!' haha!

My main problem is not having the money to be able to fix it all the time. Buy parts. I started school again, so I'm really broke now! haha! I am sure its the fuel filter, getting clogged. It probably has a stron pull for long enough at 70 (3000 rpm) that it sucks up the crud off the bottom.

Just wanted to clarify Im not a lazy bones. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Yukonart

I have heard this a bit, already. . about having something other than "the rig" as a daily driver. I don't have a Jeep yet, but when I get one I don't intend to drive it every day, either. Some of us have little choice out of the gate, I'm sure. But if you can afford a reliable little rice-burner for the week, your Jeep will be waiting for you to take it out on the weekends.

I lucked-out, I guess. Bought a *gasp* Civic that gets almost 40mpg on the highway, and over 30 in town. It's great that it sips gas, so when I get a Jeep, I'll pay much less attention to mileage and more to capability and prospective mods. If I had my way, though. . . I'd trade-in the car for a Jeep right now, if I knew which one I wanted! lol But, I'll keep the car, buy a Jeep in a bit, and in the end. . . well, I'll have something to get me to the parts store and back when my Jeep's up on jack stands in the garage getting some TLC. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Just my two cents worth. . . and figure with inflation, more like nonsense! lol
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Only a Month!

No, you are not lazy, just haven't found all the hidden evils of the previous owner yet [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]!

Only a month and thinking of selling, uhhhhhhh, hang in there....!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Only a Month!

No, you are not lazy, just haven't found all the hidden evils of the previous owner yet [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]!

Only a month and thinking of selling, uhhhhhhh, hang in there....!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know right...it sucks. The guy had it from day 1. Did everything to it, but let his daughter, who's a year younger than me (20) and son (18) drive it all the time. I failed to think about that. This was a guy i considered a FRIEND! I still do, I just thought I knew his ways better. Amsoil motor oil and stuff, signs point to 'well cared for'.

The only reason I'm thinking of selling is due to the fact I've lost a transmission ($1200 before I made the first payment!), the new fuel problem, it gets HORRID gas mileage (somethins not right, and I can't find the problem...) and now the tranny is feeling weak again.

It just turns my stomach. I would more than likely buy another one, but a new one.

Marcus
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:53 PM

You say its acting like its runnin out of gas or is it completely not getting gas? Run or drive to your local parts store and pick up some Marvel Mystery Fuel Injection cleaner and run that through your tank. I once had a problem where my TJ acting like it wasn't getting gas at times and ran that through once and everything was gravy. Try this and see if it helps any. Dependin on you mileage you might wanna think about replacing the O2 sensors as well. Not 100% sure but your O2 sensors(the one before the cat) could also be causing your problem. Something to think about.

With me I have a Jeep for the weekdays and a Jeep for the weekends. My TJ for the weekdays and some weekends when my CJ isn't runnin. The TJ has 33s, 4.10s and a lockright. The CJ isn't back together yet but has 38s, 4.88s, spool and lockright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode