Adding towhooks... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Adding towhooks...

I have an 83 CJ7 and I am trying to put new towhooks on. The front two should be ok when I bolt them through the frame but what about the rear. I have a tongue hitch but I am unsure if this is suitable for being pulled out. DOes anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 12:12 PM

Re: Adding towhooks...

is it class III rated?, if it is, it should be plenty ok. ive used a receiver shackle on mine, and it held its own pulling a k5 up a hill for 40 or so feet. just dont think about welding the hooks. welding cast iron to steel isnt a good thing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it is a class III hitch, will it be stamped on the hitch itself? Did you just attach the shackle through one of the tow ball holes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 12:44 PM

is it a factory bumper?

i have a 4wd hardware bumper on hte back of mine, its got a class III receiver hitch on it. it ties into one side of the stock bumperette mounts and has an L bracket that ties into the frame and the other bumperette mounts.

i dont know about fixed mount bumbers. you may want to beef up the way the bumper ties into the the frame. ive seen alot of pickemup truck's bumpers get really bent and some torn off using it as a towpoint. oem 'hitch bumpers' arent known for their strength unless you use them to haul around a jetski or two, or even a light weight camper.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Neither a welder nor a metalurgist, I had a local blacksmith weld four hooks onto my jeep. The front two are welded to a 1/2 inch mild steel plate which servs as a winch mount. That plate is bent on both sides so that it fits snugly down over the front frame members. Four 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts attach the plate to the frame. Also welded to the plate is a 2X4 steel tube front bumper.

The way the hooks are welded is along the bottom and through the bolt holes (a plug weld, I believe).

A similar plate (1/2 inch thick) made from a steel beam and shaped like angle iron forms my rear bumper. Two hooks are similarly welded to that plate. In this case the plate is welded to the frame cross-member and has two extensions that go under the frame at the rear shackle mount. These extentions have holes through which the rear shackles are mounted (bolted to the frame).

All hooks have been used extensively since 1986 on various extractions including my own. None have shown the slightest hint of failure. All appear cast and were rated at 20,000 lbs. Are you giving me reasons to lay awake at night? Can you explain further why cast hooks should not be welded to steel? I'd appreciate any and all insight you might have.
-carl
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:27 PM

Some organized trail rides around here won't even let you pass tech inspection with welded hooks. I had to grind mine off and bolt some on. I know it's retarded, but the explination that was given me is that they can't tell the quality of a weld just by looking at it, as they can't see the penetration. FWIW

Ken
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, can't blame them much I guess. Maybe that is why I don't go on those organized rides anymore. What we do has gotten so popular that all kinds of folks participate. Many don't know their own limitations (or that of others). Only part of the reason I don't go is the rules, the rest is the fools.
-carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode