Postal CJ8 Update ... fixed for now - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Postal CJ8 Update ... fixed for now

We think we got it fixed, for now. What an interesting jeep... the hinges for the cargo door are amazing and the Jeep logo on the cargo door is just plain cool.

Eric and Jason showed up in Helena at about noon on Monday. we stopped by to see my buddy Stan (he's my mechanic friend) and he took a look at it. We decided that the exhaust manifold had a blown gasket and the tranny fluid looked thin... really thin... It wasn’t burnt, but looked like someone had put motor oil in it (little wonder that Eric couldn’t read it).

After a quick stop at the parts store we headed out to Stan's garage. Eric and Jason serviced and flushed the tranny while I did some work.. By this time Doug Herold had heard about the event and stopped by to help out. We looked the manifold gasket problem and the front exhaust manifold bolt fell out in Eric's hand, it must have been on the verge of falling out. Upon closer examination we could see that the head had a bolt broken off in it. Stan has several bolt extraction kits, so we spent several hours drilling out the broken bolt. We first tried to center drill it, but even with a guide, it was still a bit off center. Then we increased the size of the hole a little with a left hand drill bit, hoping that the bit would bite into the bolt and back it out… no luck. Then we tried and extractor and it wouldn’t bite either.

Up to this point we hadn’t pulled the manifolds. We finally faced up to the fact that we were going to have to remove the manifolds and drill the bolt out and re-tap or helicoil. So we pulled the manifolds and began drilling again. The more we drilled, the more we became aware that we were approaching the head bolt pocket. Not being sure of whether the manifold bolt was contained in a separate pocket, or not, we did some head scratching, looked at some of the other bolt holes, and decided that it was ok to remove the head bolt and drill on through. We remove the head bolt and discovered how the bolt had been broken off… it had bottomed out against the head bolt.

As we began drilling out the manifold bolt hole, it became painfully obvious that a previous attempt had been made and that the results were less than ideal. The bolt hole had been “wallowed” out pretty well and even the Helicoil would only have about 6-7 threads in good metal. Well, we tapped out the Helicoil and installed it with JB Weld.

All this time, the manifolds were simply laying in the engine bay and and we hadn’t had enough room to see if the manifolds were warped or not. After several attempts to install the old exhaust manifold, we decided that it was warped. FORTUNATELY, a friend of mine had retained my manifolds when I did my 360 swap, and he had given them back to me earlier that day when he saw that we were going to be getting into the manifolds. The exhaust manifold was a perfect match, so we used it and eventually got it all back together. The Helicoil had so little good metal that we decided not to crank it all the way up to the 23 ft/lbs called for.

After setting the timing, we decided to call it a night at about 1:30. Eric and Jason followed me out to a camping spot on public land near my house and I dropped them there for the night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:08 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Postal CJ8 Update ... fixed for now

Thanks for the update!

Interesting ain't it how we diagnoiss form long range and aren't even close to hittin' the mark?

I've posted a link to Jeeper2's update on JU.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:20 AM

Long distance diagnostics are like an old joke:

A proctologist retires and takes up auto mechanics. He takes a class in it. At the end they are required to reassemble an engine. Low and behold the grades are posted and everybody but him gets a B or less. He gets an "A+"! The rest of the students are up in arms and want to know why. The instructor says that everybody's efforts were worthy, but only a TRUE artist could do the entire operation.... through the tail-pipe.

Now imagine a blind, deaf proctologist, THAT is what I liken to remote diagnostics. You gotta be there, to look, listen, smell, touch and in rare cases taste it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Actually, the diagnosis was easy.

Sorry my post is boring, I'm working on less than four hours sleep. Actually, we had a good time and Eric and Jason are good guys... worthy of all the effort. I'm sure that Eric will have much more to post later.

John Bushnell

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think it was boring. I thought it was pretty good. I'll have to take a look at that manifold bolt when he gets to ohio. Maybe he could drill it out to a larger size nad put in a stud with different thread sizes?.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 11:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That is good news![img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Nothing like a breakdown in a strange city to find new friends. Last Fall I drove a big U-Haul across country and overhauled it in stages. The breakdowns were sort of inconvenient, but I met some great guys in the different places I stopped for "U-Haul Approved" repairs. The guys at Lariat International in Cheyenne, for example, were a great bunch to work with.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] On another note.......after spending YEARS in a machine shop, I just DREAD IT when someone speaks of a broken off bolt or stud. First they drill and get it offset; then they break off a drill or tap in the hole. Now mind you I'm not impugning your repairs, because you guys did some good work there, BUT.....the best way to do the broken-bolt thing is by welding a nut onto the broken end. Yep....even when it's broken off slightly BELOW the surface. I've never had to back away from one yet, and I usually got them AFTER the drills and taps were already broken off in there.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] So what was the cause of the reduced fuel mileage??? Anyone know?[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Being late, we hadn't thought of that. If we had, we would have put in a larger Helicoil. The original bolt is a 3/8" and the Helicoil would have to be a 5/16 or maybe even larger... they really butchered it!

Unless the gasket is blown again by Ohio, I'd bet Eric will want to leave well enough alone.

Later
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Forgot to mention the fuel mileage issue... thanks for the reminder.

It seems that Eric's CJ8 has the infamous "puking oil into the air filter" problem. He's got a nice K&N filter, but with the oil, we think it needs a cleaning. Meanwhile, we applied an old fix of mine, we're venting the PVC into a 16 oz. water bottle to catch the oil and putting in a paper filter. I think that this will help a lot.

Later
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Addict

As I'm waking up, I'm thinking of other things...

The Scramble is STUFFED... good thing it has that hard top! The hard top itself is shot full (2" thick) of polyurethane foam... of course it would be needed in Alaska, but its a mess!

Eric just called and Stan and I meeting him for lunch.

later
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 11:47 AM
Pooh-Bah

Good morning John![img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I put an update with pics on the <a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadjeepshort&a mp;Number=837890&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=offroad jeepshort&amp;Words=the%20fix&amp;Match=Entire%20P hrase&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=1day&a mp;Main=836629>emergency</a> post.
Too bad we didn't have internet at the shop.
<font color=blue>LEVE</font color=blue> put a couple links in which would have helped in the carb/vacuum hose dilemna.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
See ya,
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode