Trouble with 4x4 on '89 YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Trouble with 4x4 on \'89 YJ

We took our '89 YJ out to the Indiana Badlands last weekend for the GLJT Summerbash. My son locked the brakes on a steep sandy trail and layed it on its side. Damage to the Jeep was minor, fender, side marker, flare and some scraped paint on the windshield frame. His rider got a gash on his head that took 6 stiches to close. After we got the YJ up on it's wheels and checked for safe operation, my son tried to go up the hill but would dig ruts with the back tires and the front wouldn't spin. We finally got it out by going a different way.

I jacked up the passenger wheel and verified that the posi-lock would lock and turn the front driveshaft for the "normal" amount of gear lash when I rotated the right front tire. Disengauge the Posilock and the tire would spin without any force and the front driveshaft would not turn. We went to the sand dune area and my son could not keep up with my CJ. He would spin both rear tires and the fronts would just stay still. To extract him from his ruts, I had him back up a dune for a Y turn were he spun both rear tires and again no movement of the front tires. I did not see if the front driveshaft was turning.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is failing? Is it possible the Dana 30 has a worn out LSD that slips when any force is put to it? Something bad it the NP 231? Faulty Posilock?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 08:07 AM
Official Historian

Re: Trouble with 4x4 on \'89 YJ

A friend of mine had a similar problem. It turned out to be that the shift pads in the transfer case had worn down and then the shift fork wore to the point of being too thin to move the shift collar for the front drive in the NP231. Just something to check. Jack up both front tires, shift the transfer case into 4x4 and try to turn the driveshaft. If it turns in both 4hi and 4low, that could be your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode