pulling a CJ with YJ (updated) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Addict

pulling a CJ with YJ (updated)

Ive gotta tow my CJ from my old apartmetn to my grnadmothers house. its just about 1 mile down the road. I was thinking about just using tow straps and chain. anybetter solutions. the CJ aint up and runnin yet, so driving it is not and option and it has to be moved...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 06:03 AM

Re: pulling a CJ with YJ

In some states it's illegal to tow that way except to clear a disabled vehicle from the road. Other than that, I'd do it as long as I could go slowly on side streets. If the CJ has an auto box it could be damaged, so it might be worth the effort to drop the shaft.

You want to use nylon strap or rope - not polypropylene, chain or cable. The stretch in nylon makes for a lot smoother takeup, and is consequently less likely to break or damage the Jeeps.

Work out hand signals in advance with the other driver for slow, stop, go and turn. The CJ should drag the brakes lightly to keep slack out of the strap, and should do most of the braking when you need to slow or stop.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 07:30 AM
Pooh-Bah

Re: pulling a CJ with YJ

Some states also require a "hard" connection between the 2 vehicles. This can be accomplished by using chain and a 10' length of 3" pvc pipe. Chain through the pipe and tighten until the pipe rests against both bumpers. This will prevent the 2 from "meeting". Although, if it is only a mile, have a friend ride in the CJ and do what was said above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Re: pulling a CJ with YJ (updated)

well, the move went without incident. i checked the DMV website and drivers manual and found NO laws regarding towing another vehicle. so i went ahead and did it. 2 points learned:
1)4 bangers dont like towing (no real probs, just ran warm and slow)
2)use an experience driver for the towing vehicle( i used jeep chick due to a shortage of availabe friends, agian no real probs other the the PITA it was to get the message across that you crawl to a start to take up slack before taking off. i thought she was gonna rip my bumper off)

all in all, it went good. no tickets, she learned a bit about towing, and i got to spend 25 minutes pissing and yellin' woo hoo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode